Pip and work capability assessment — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip and work capability assessment

Options
kasia85
kasia85 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Good afternoon 🌞

I made a claim for pip 24th September, I have phone assessment on 29 march and yesterday morning received text that they received my raport and will now make decision - is this is normal time to wait or maybe something is wrong?

To add to the stress- yesterday almost 6pm I received text from job centre I been referred for work capability assessment and I don't know what to think about it.

To give some background to my situation:
I was terminated from work after long time off because of health.

I just have my first appointment in job center on 21 April and been told that they will referred me for assessment after at least 3 months of providing fit notes from my GP.

I don't know what to think about everything, I constantly worry and this really impacting my mental and physical health.

Thank you in advance for any answer.

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello there @kasia85 and welcome, thank you for reaching out today and explaining things :) 

Regarding PIP, I know there's a lot of backlogs at the DWP currently, mostly due to Covid, and that most claims can take anywhere between 2-12 weeks to be fully processed. I don't think there's any need to worry, but I understand that the wait can be quite stressful.

You're on the final stage now, and you've done the hardest part, so if you can try not to dwell on it, focus on things you enjoy, and that will help the time pass. Whatever the decision, we are here to support you :)

As for your Work Capability Assessment (WCA): 
    I just have my first appointment in job center on 21 April and been told that they will referred me for assessment after at least 3 months of providing fit notes from my GP.
    It sounds as though the text you got last night was just confirming that you've been referred for assessment. It's good that you've been providing fit notes from your GP.

The WCA is used to see whether you will be placed in the support group for Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) or considered to have Limited Capability for Work Related Activity (LCWRA) for Universal Credit. You can read more about what to expect on the Turn2Us website.

I am sorry to hear about the impact this is having on both your physical and mental health, is this something you've been able to talk to your GP about? 

Can I ask what support you are getting for the way you're feeling at the moment? 

You might find mental health charity Mind's tips on self-care and managing anxiety helpful.

If you feel we can help with anything further please let us know, and keep us updated with how your WCA goes.

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,187 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Regarding your PIP. Sometimes a report is chosen for audit, which means it's being checked to make sure the assessment provider did their job correctly. This is probably the reason why there was a delay in returning it to DWP. Now it's been returned a decision will be made and the timescale for this is between 2-12 weeks.

For your UC claim. As you've now been referred for a work capability assessment (WCA) in a few days you should receive a work capability assessment form in the post (UC50) you will need to fill this in with all your information and send evidence to support your claim. You can see the form here. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/uc50-form-universal-credit-capability-for-work-questionnaire

Once the form is returned you'll very likely need to attend a work capability assesment (like PIP but different criteria) waiting times for these are very long so you could be waiting several months. You will need to make sure you continue to send in fit notes without any gaps for your UC until a decision's been made on the WCA.
    There's some information here regarding UC with a health condition. https://www.gov.uk/health-conditions-disability-universal-credit
    If you're found to have LCWRA then you will receive ectra money from the 4th month after you reported your health condition. You can see the descriptors for LCWRA here. https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/universal-credit-uc/uc-faq/limited-capability-for-work-related-activity

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • kasia85
    kasia85 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thank you very much for your help.

I'm currently under care of my GP, wellbeing practicioner, social perscriber ,
    rheumatologist and neurologist. 
    I'm taking whole bunch of medication but I feel like my current situation pulling me down.
    To add something positive - I'm in much better mental condition than few months ago.

Have a great afternoon everybody 🌞

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm glad to hear that you're in a better position with your mental health now @kasia85, and that you've found the above comments helpful :) Please do keep us updated on your progress!

Please only share what you're comfortable with sharing, but I'd be interested in hearing about your experience of social prescribing. Do you find it helpful?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.