Vertical mouse — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Vertical mouse

Options
MaidMarion
MaidMarion Community member Posts: 31 Listener
Hi 
My OH adviser recommended a vertical mouse because of my arthritis.

Most of them look rather big, more suitable for a man.

I looked at Logitech Lift (available in pink!!) And Logitech Master 3- this one was voted best mouse in 2022.

But I find it too big!

Has anybody got experience with these mice?
I am a teacher and design PowerPoint presentations- 
Lots of dragging and clicking.

Thank you
Tagged:

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @MaidMarion

Thanks for posting about this, sorry to hear that all the mice are too big for you.

I wonder if any of the manufacturers do customer mice whereby you can request a size for your hand specifically. 

It might be worth getting in touch with Ability Net to see if they can provide any support with this.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • MaidMarion
    Options
    Hi @MaidMarion

Thanks for posting about this, sorry to hear that all the mice are too big for you.

I wonder if any of the manufacturers do customer mice whereby you can request a size for your hand specifically. 

It might be worth getting in touch with Ability Net to see if they can provide any support with this.
    Hi
    There are smaller mice- all of lesser quality!
  • Ross_Alumni
    Options
    I see, that's a shame @MaidMarion. Perhaps it might be worth giving one of them a go and seeing if it does work for you, and if not you could always return it?

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • MaidMarion
    Options
    I see, that's a shame @MaidMarion. Perhaps it might be worth giving one of them a go and seeing if it does work for you, and if not you could always return it?

Hi 
    That's what I thought!!
    But the department says that it is a commercial order, so once unboxed, it cant be returned.
    That only works under consumer law rules!

Best wishes
    M
  • Ross_Alumni
    Options
    Ah I see, that is a shame @MaidMarion

• POGGYFLOSS
    POGGYFLOSS Scope Member Posts: 38 Courageous
    Options
    Whilst I was still able to work my company bought me this one

Evoluent VerticalMouse 4 Small (right handed)

No it's just me prices way too high so I do actually just buy a strong standard gaming mouse from eBay which for some reason seem to be smaller probably because they have fewer buttons worth having a look.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I use a flatter shaped trackball mouse myself, I don't know if that might be easier than a vertical mouse @MaidMarion

A trackball means you can move the cursor with the ball, and the mouse itself stays in one place, so you don't have to drag it around. It can take a bit of getting used to but it definitely helps me reduce fatigue :)
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • ShirleyW
    ShirleyW Community member Posts: 355 Pioneering
    Options
    I have severe osteoarthritis in my hands, wrists, elbows and shoulders.
    For many years I have used software to do the clicking for me.

I still have to move the mouse but when the cursor is on the place I want to click on I don't need to click, the software does it for me.
    I only use a small mouse made by HP and I don't need to grip it hard as it moves easily.

The software programme I use is:
    https://thinksmartbox.com/product/dwell-clicker/

It can be downloaded and costs £10 for the licence which lasts indefinitely.  I'm fairly certain there is a trial period too.  I've used it for over 10 years and only paid the once.  When I change laptop I just quote my original licence number to them.

• POGGYFLOSS
    POGGYFLOSS Scope Member Posts: 38 Courageous
    edited May 2022
    Options
    that looks fantastic, now i just need to find a mac version! it exists,8.99 in the App   store!
  • ShirleyW
    ShirleyW Community member Posts: 355 Pioneering
    Options
    that looks fantastic, now i just need to find a mac version! it exists,8.99 in the App   store!
    That's great.  I hope you can get it to work on your Mac.  It certainly made my life much easier.
  • MaidMarion
    Options
    ShirleyW said:
    That's great.  I hope you can get it to work on your Mac.  It certainly made my life much easier.
    Brilliant idea!!!
    I will get university to pay for it. They let me order a vertical mouse as well. I'm looking into a small size Evoluent mouse, a Dutch make. 
  • MaidMarion
    Options
    I use a flatter shaped trackball mouse myself, I don't know if that might be easier than a vertical mouse @MaidMarion

A trackball means you can move the cursor with the ball, and the mouse itself stays in one place, so you don't have to drag it around. It can take a bit of getting used to but it definitely helps me reduce fatigue :)
    Hi
    That sounds good but probably would not work when designing Powerpoint Prentations. Lots of clicking and dragging to do! 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.