Anyone had a wet room adaptation — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Anyone had a wet room adaptation

Options
Geegeenumber1
Geegeenumber1 Community member Posts: 1,066 Pioneering
Do you know what it's like does it take over whole bathroom? Can you still paint or wallpaper and have shelves etc or does the whole space need to be clear. I'm being assessed on the 8th. I can't use the bath easily mainly need a shower but would like to be able to decorate rest of my bathroom but not allowed to put in my own shower and been told could he waiting a year to get wet room if even approved advice welcome. Also are they really ugly lookin and what type of showers do they use

Comments

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Good afternoon @Geegeenumber1. Thanks for your post. Great question! 

I don't have experience with a wet room adaptation at home. I only have experience of using a wet room in a disabled hotel room and I'm not sure that's the same.

Hopefully, someone with more experience in this area can respond to you soon. However, what I can say is it was wonderful and refreshing.

I just think it needs more control or to be placed in a larger room because the water ran into the other room. Those would be my recommendations anyway if possible. 

Please feel free to keep us in the loop. I am intrigued as to how you will experience it  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Geegeenumber1
    Options
    Thank you. I hope it will be allowed as the bath is very uncomfortable 
  • Spoonie_Naila
    Spoonie_Naila Community member Posts: 464 Courageous
    Options
    @Geegeenumber1 I’d strongly recommend just googling images of wet rooms to see what can be done in terms of decor, or even take a look on Pinterest. Not sure exactly what the council’s stipulation would be though. 

Would you please be kind enough to  let me know more about the process you went through. I’ve recently called my council to ask about a DFG for a wet room. They’ve told me it will be several weeks before they get back in touch. 

Would be really interested to know how your assessment goes, if you don’t mind sharing. 

Wishing you all the best. 
  • Geegeenumber1
    Options
    Hi there I was recommended for one when on housing list on medical grounds but not heard from  them since and apparently there's a year wait even if you do get awarded one

I just need a shower 
  • Spoonie_Naila
    Spoonie_Naila Community member Posts: 464 Courageous
    Options
    I know what you mean. I really struggle to get in & out the bath. I have a bath seat to sit on,  but it takes a lot of energy to climb in & out. I have to have a lay down afterwards. Feels like I’ve done a round with Mike Tyson each time 😂. A walk/wheel in shower would make life so much easier. I’ve used wet rooms in hotels and hospital. So much less effort and really helps with your personal sense of independence. 

Hope you get what you need. 
  • Geegeenumber1
    Options
    I'm exactly the same I used to be completely out of breath every time I got in and out of bath where I lived before and it's not great now. And landlord will not allow you to install own shower even. It slows life down then more. Have you enquire about it at all I hope you have luck the main problem is how long these things take when you need Ed help years aho
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    In the interim you can get an electric bath seat that lowers and lifts you out of the bath 

Mine was supplied by ot when I had my assessment and is changed every year for a new one 
  • Geegeenumber1
    Options
    is it good?
    Ive been referred yet again for occ health /therapy by doctor after they didnt get back to me about applying for wetroom. i dont really want my whole bathroom convverted just need a shower and not allowed to install own 
  • janer1967
    Options
    Yes they are good I transfer onto the bath chair from my wheelchair it comes up level with top of bath you then press button lowers you down into bath and back reclines you then press button to lift you back up 

You can buy them from aid shops like care Co but if supplied by ot will be classed as aid for pip 
  • Geegeenumber1
    Options
  • Siwheels73
    Siwheels73 Scope Member Posts: 746 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Geegeenumber1. My wife and I have been fighting hard with our local council over going from having a Wetroom setup to having an adapted bath with a hoist. Most councils like people who want a shower because it is quick, easy, and above all CHEAP to fit. If you'd like any more information, please let me know.
  • Geegeenumber1
    Options
    Hi there yes please. I would like to keep my bath and use a seat or aid or have my carer but want a shower for quickness and ease 

Do you have a wet room now is it no good for your needs

I don't need whole wet room just shower but don't know the difference really 
  • Siwheels73
    Siwheels73 Scope Member Posts: 746 Pioneering
    Options
    Just sent you a private message.
  • Geegeenumber1
    Options
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 49,893 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I had my bathroom done through ot came out to assess. I couldn't use the bath at all, was no room to put chair in either. I got granted for a walk in shower. When they came to strip the bath out they took the walls back to the brick. Put new wiring In.  Replastered the walls and put new flooring In, the walk in shower , new sink as it was moved location. Put tyles on and decorated it for me. 
    Its so much better now for me, even on a flair up with my spine I can access the shower. 
  • dynasty30
    dynasty30 Community member Posts: 90 Courageous
    Options
    Sandy_123 said:
    I had my bathroom done through ot came out to assess. I couldn't use the bath at all, was no room to put chair in either. I got granted for a walk in shower. When they came to strip the bath out they took the walls back to the brick. Put new wiring In.  Replastered the walls and put new flooring In, the walk in shower , new sink as it was moved location. Put tyles on and decorated it for me. 
    Its so much better now for me, even on a flair up with my spine I can access the shower. 
    Can I ask if you owned the property or was it council please? 
  • Geegeenumber1
    Options
    is there any way if room is big enough to keep your bath for ocassional use (it works wonders for my wellbeing and sore legs and back when I can get assistance to use it!) and also have the wetroom or have a bath added later

I need the convenience and speed of a shower and not having the pain that I get using the bath - and also need a carer to help -but absolulely love my baths for my mental health and self care

Any advice?

I offered the council to put my own shower in but they said im not allowed which is awful
  • janer1967
    Options
    @Geegeenumber1 welcome back we have all missed you 
  • Geegeenumber1
    Options
    @janer1967
    Hi Janer I've missed you all too but have been SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO busy, how aere you? xx
  • janer1967
    Options
    I'm good thanks so nice to see your OK 

In regards to your question I'm no expert but a bath in  wet room mat not be compatible due to plumbing and drainage 

I think the floor has too x slant in a wet room so the water drains away and this may make the bath not level but don't take my word for it 

Have you enquired if if is possible with the people who have approved the wetroom 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.