Anyone had a wet room adaptation - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Anyone had a wet room adaptation

Options
2»

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I realise this isn't a solution in terms of getting an adaptation to your house @Geegeenumber1, but I was wondering if it'd be worth seeing if a local leisure centre has hot tubs that you could use?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Geegeenumber1
    Geegeenumber1 Community member Posts: 1,066 Pioneering
    Options
    they haven't approved anything yet haha

• Steve_in_The_City
    Steve_in_The_City Scope Member Posts: 562 Pioneering
    Options
    Years ago I lived in a flat that had a bath. A bath lift was installed to get in and out of the bath, but frankly it was a misery. The bathroom was only small, the flat was a conversion, and a shower couldn't be installed so I had to contend with the bath lift. Cleaning the bath lift and the bath was horrendous. They may be ok in large bathrooms, but not in a tiny London council flat bathroom. This was years ago, so maybe todays bath lifts are smaller and less cumbersome.

Then I moved in to a flat with an antiquated and small wet room with an electric shower designed for a disabled person (no bath). It made life much easier. About 5 years ago they ripped it out and gave me a completely new wet room. It looked lovely, it gave me more space and was very easy to clean (important to me as I don't have carers). It was only partially tiled, so I could paint the plaster. I put a really nice bathroom cabinet on a wall. I did not need shower gates (and the stress of cleaning them) because they installed an electric pump that was connected by bluetooth to the excellent shower. No water leaked from the wet room in to the hall way. I had a separate toilet room, also replaced and excellent, so in the shower I didn't even need to draw the shower curtains.

I would say don't worry about losing a bath and getting a shower in a wet room. For me, it was a totally positive experience. When I did use to bath I liked to linger and daydream, but the benefits of a shower far outweigh the benefits of lingering in a bath and daydreaming. In any event, you can still linger in a shower and daydream. It is also easier on your muscles; I find showering far less painful than using a bath lift. From a hygiene point of view (and I know this is just a technicality so please don't flame me) a shower is more hygienic. You are not lingering in your own dirty water.

Six months ago I moved in to a purpose built disabled persons flat. The wet room is large, there is no bath, but it is so easy to clean. I did have problems with the water temperature, but I resolved that issue.

I would say get yourself a modern wet room, don't worry about losing a bath, but instead focus on the benefits. By the way, I am a council tenant and the OT arranged everything. She looked around my old bathroom (at my previous flat) said it was outdated and the wet room was replaced about 2 months later at no cost to myself.
  • Geegeenumber1
    Options
    thanks for your detailed reply

I actually get a lot from baths. I treat myself to expensive products and put candles in etc and I really see it as a big part of my self care. In fact I live for that 'me time
    '

Ideally I would keep the bath and have a shower as well but the OT hasnt even been in contact so no matter what happens it wont be quick i dont think

Its great you got a modern wet room I was looking online to see how they look and they looked awful and considering Ive spent all my savings doing up my flat I would hate having a really ugly looking bathroom

It is quite a big bathroom and is big enough for both - I wouldnt mind paying myself towards but it doesnt work like that

It is good you got a great solution in the end

Thanks for the input'
  • Steve_in_The_City
    Steve_in_The_City Scope Member Posts: 562 Pioneering
    Options
    @Geegeenumber1 Sorry, I did not realise how important a bath is to you. I hope you find a solution where you get the best of both worlds. A shower for convenience and a bath for peace of mind. I just cannot a manage a bath, full stop. So for me a shower is good.

Also, please don't feel concerned about how a wet room would look. The wet room I had in my old flat looked terrific, but I don't have a photo to upload.
  • Geegeenumber1
    Options
    thats great that they can look good - I am really anxious to decorate my bathroom as got all the stuff but cant really do anything til I get an answer about the wetroom

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.