Hospital problems — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hospital problems

Options
marybottomley
marybottomley Community member Posts: 887 Pioneering
Does anyone find that hospital staff don’t know what is happening 

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @marybottomley

Thanks for making this post. 

Would you mind expanding on what you mean by this please? Has something happened to you recently that has given you the impression that they are that way?

Of course they are very very busy at the moment and under a lot of stress. I'm not trying to excuse whatever has happened to you, but just offer a reason as to why it may have happened. 

Take care
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Oxonlady
    Oxonlady Scope Member Posts: 566 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @marybottomley and @Ross_Scope, I am in A&E right now, the second time within a week. I will be writing to the Trust to suggest that they must have a well-defined policy on how to treat disabled people, especially those of us in wheelchairs. After the first time, I reported the hospital to the Quality Care Commission.
    I'd been humiliated and made to feel a nuisance just for asking to be taken to the loo, then asking to be moved to a more private area so I could inject my insulin and finally after five and a half hours waiting to see a doctor, asking how much longer it would be. It turned out to be seven hours. All the time I was there on my own, never offered food or drink. In the end, including time waiting for hospital transport home, I was in my wheelchair for 17 solid hours. When I got home, I felt more ill than when I came into hospital.
    It looks like it'll be the same tonight. I'm in as much pain as when I came in and they've discharged me to wait several hours for transport home. 

To sum up, hospital staff have no idea about the needs of wheelchair-bound people. It's bad enough having to have strangers help with toileting and personal care. They can be very insensitive, with comments such as "how do you manage at home?", "why can't you move your wheelchair?" etc. There's no understanding that when you ask a nurse to help you, it can't wait, especially with a damaged spine. I could go on. Sorry but I'm now totally exhausted. I can't wait to get home but I have a very long wait through the night... 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,073 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Oxonlady I hope you are seen soon and able to get transport quicker.  Its not good that noone offers a drink.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,631 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I was in A&E couple of weeks ago, it was a Monday night and extremely busy, but I was in and out in just under four hours and was treated great.
    I know that everyone's experience is different but I have to speak as I found.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• marybottomley
    Options
    The reason why I wrote this post is because my husband is being told that can come home by the doctors but then the nurses don’t know anything about it so the medication discharge letter and transportation isn’t and it’s not the first time we have had problems like this so I am just wondering if anyone else had similar problems 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks for explaining @marybottomley that's very frustrating. It sounds as though there's a problem with communication between the doctors and nurses, or that messages are taking a bit longer than they could to come through. 

How are things today? Have they been able to sort out the medication discharge letter and transport?
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I am in hospital on a corona virus ward and they are short staffed extremely busy when we want a drink we have to ask we are over the top of A&E and the ambulances are lined up waiting to go in with people in them at the moment there is a 13hr waiting time one person who just came up on the corona virus ward was in the ambulance for 8hrs and 12hrs in A&E waiting for a bed they are over whelmed 
  • marybottomley
    Options
    Hi everyone 
    thank you for the comments 
    my husband is still stuck at the hospital because of transport problems 
    I completely understand that the hospital is under pressure but one thing which would really help is better communication throughout all departments 
    Mary

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.