Leaving work threw ill health. I've not got a clue what I do after my 6 months sick pay is up — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Leaving work threw ill health. I've not got a clue what I do after my 6 months sick pay is up

Options
magsta222
magsta222 Community member Posts: 35 Listener
Wondering if someone could help me im on the  sick from work  due to lots of illnesses.
I get pip daily living 
Cb
Working tax child tax
And I get the disabily element in my tax credits.
My son also leaves collage in July and does not know what he wants to do.
I get some housing benefit and council tax support I live in a council house.
I'm so scared as I've not got a clue what I do after my 6 months sick pay is up.

Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,368 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    3 months before your SSP ends if you've paid the correct amount of NI contributions in tax years April 2019 to March 2021 you'll be able to put a claim in for New style ESA. You'll need a fit note and your SSP1 form. Payment won't start until your SSP ends. You'll receive £77 per week. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-style-employment-and-support-allowance
    Once your son leaves full time education then child tax credits and child benefit will both end for him. Once your SSP ends if you don't live with a working partner then your working tax credits will also end.
    There will be no non dependent deductions for housing benefit because you're claiming PIP.
    If you haven't paid the correct amount of NI contributions then have a look at claiming Universal Credit. If you claim this your housing benefit will end after 2 weeks. Help with the rent will be paid through UC.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    While you are entitled to SSP you are treated as still in work and can continue to receive Working Tax Credits.

You can claim Universal Credit. If you claim Universal Credit your Tax Credits (both Working Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit) end, as will your Housing Benefit. Worth doing a full benefit check to see whether you are better waiting until your Tax Credits end or whether you would be better off claiming now anyway. See if there's a local advice agency atet can do a benefit check for you. https://advicelocal.uk

If you claim UC you should declare your health condition, supported by a Fit Note, and will then be referred for a Work Capability Assessment.

After your SSP ends you can also claim new style ESA if your NI record for 2019-20 and 2020-21 is complete. If you claim both ESA and Uc the ESA is deducted from the ESA.

Your PIP is unaffected by anything.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • magsta222
    Options
     When I get ESA do I have to go to any meeting etc will this go up as it's not a lot to live on £77 a week x
    Will I have to pay full council tax or loose my 25% If son goes on to UC 
    Someone said they take £75 a month off me x
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You will need a work capability assessment for the ESA claim. If you’re placed into the Support Group your money will increase to £117.60 per week from the 14th week of your claim but it may take longer than this for a decision to be made.
    If your son is no longer in education then you will lose the 25% single person discount. 
    Your housing benefit will not be affected by any non dependent deductions because you claim PIP, as advised.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • magsta222
    Options
    Thankyou so can I claim ESA and UC at the same time or is it better just to stay on ESA 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    If you claim both at the same time the ESA will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement. Your housing benefit will continue for 2 weeks and then stop. Tax credits will stop when you submit your claim for UC.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    To be clear.

You cannot claim ESA until your SSP has ended. You can, if you wish, claim UC now. 
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • magsta222
    Options
    Will I be put in the lwca if I claim UC and ESA my friend says it's extra 
    Just want to be sure what to apply for 
    It's quite confusing

• magsta222
    Options
    I'm continuing to claim SSP untill September that will be 6 months 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    magsta222 said:
    Will I be put in the lwca if I claim UC and ESA my friend says it's extra 
    Just want to be sure what to apply for 
    It's quite confusing

That will depend on your health conditions and how they affect you. You won't receive this straight away, claiming PIP doesn't automatically entitle you to LCWRA. There are some health conditions that automatically entitle you to LCWRA but there's still a waiting period before the extra money is paid. It's paid from the 4th month after you report your health condition.
    Some conditions that automatically entitle you to LCWRA are..

1. You are terminally ill, i.e. you are suffering from a progressive disease and your death in consequence of that disease can reasonably be expected within 6 months

2. You are receiving treatment for cancer by way of chemotherapy or radiotherapy
    For this to apply you must either be actually receiving it, or:
    you are likely to receive such treatment within 6 months; or
    you are recovering from such treatment;
    and the decision maker is satisfied that you should be treated as having limited capability for work-related activity.

You can see the rest of the criteria here. https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/universal-credit-uc/uc-faq/limited-capability-for-work-related-activity

You will be referred for a work capability assessment after day 29 of your claim. Once this is done you'll be sent the work capability assesment form to fill in and return with all your evidence to support your claim. It could potentially be several months, sometimes longer before a decisions made. Unless you're automatically entitled to it.

There's some information here. https://www.gov.uk/health-conditions-disability-universal-credit

• poppy123456
    Options
    You should use a benefits calculator before claiming because while still claiming SSP your working tax credits will continue. If you claim UC you could be worse off. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/Intro/Home?cid=95776b5c-582c-4eeb-aa97-7c26188e1ea0
    You need to be 100% sure you won't be worse off because once you claim it, you can't go back to tax credits.

• magsta222
    Options
    So if I pass the test on ESA do I get it automatically from UC or do I have to claim 
  • poppy123456
    edited May 2022
    Options
    You can't claim New style ESA until 3 months before your SSP ends and then you won't receive any money until your SSP ends. Whether you're entitled to it will depend on your NI contributions in the previous tax years, as has been advised.
    Support Group criteria is the same as LCWRA which you can see in the link provided above.
    magsta222 said:
    So if I pass the test on ESA do I get it automatically from UC or do I have to claim 

No, you don't. New style ESA is completely different to UC. You don't automatically get "put" onto UC, you will need to claim it. But as advised, you shouldn't claim it until you've either used a benefits calculator or you've got a full benefits check from an advice agency near you.
    If you're placed into the Support Group for ESA and you're also claiming UC then you'll be entitled to the LCWRA element in with your maximum UC entitlement.
  • magsta222
    Options
    Thankyou very much for all your help sorry to ask so many questions x
  • poppy123456
    Options
    No worries, it is very confusing indeed.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Please feel free to ask away @magsta222. We are here with you. Hopefully, we can answer your questions. If not, we can at least signpost you to someone who may be able to  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Please feel free to ask away @magsta222. We are here with you. Hopefully, we can answer your questions. If not, we can at least signpost you to someone who may be able to  :)

All the questions that were asked have been answered.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.