Hi, my name is milo2022! Will a live in carer impact benefits such as PIP, housing benefit and ESA? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is milo2022! Will a live in carer impact benefits such as PIP, housing benefit and ESA?

Options
2»

Comments

• Sue_Alumni
    Sue_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 486 Pioneering
    Options
    Sorry -I just replied to the notification I received.  Thank you for your input anyway.  
    Online Community Adviser

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Sue_Alumni
    Options
    Hi 
    I've just been thinking further about whether your UC will be affected if you move in with A.  In addition to not getting your housing costs for the reasons stated above I just wanted to check whether you are getting a transitional SDP amount in your UC. If you were entitled to a severe disability premium in your old benefit and transferred to UC by natural migration before 16 January 2019,  when the rules were changed to prevent you from doing so, you may be getting an extra amount in your UC.  This amount is called the "transitional SDP amount". If you move in with A you will lose this amount as you will not be living alone. You could be treated as living alone and thereby retain this amount if you have a legally enforceable tenancy at a commercial rent. 
    Online Community Adviser

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,704 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Sue_Scope said:
    If you move in with A you will lose this amount as you will not be living alone.

I don't think that's correct. Once someone has met these conditions, s/he continues to have the element included in her/his calculation regardless of whether or not s/he continues to satisfy the conditions for an SDP.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Sue_Scope said:  If you were entitled to a severe disability premium in your old benefit and transferred to UC by natural migration before 16 January 2019,  when the rules were changed to prevent you from doing so, you may be getting an extra amount in your UC.  This amount is called the "transitional SDP amount". If you move in with A you will lose this amount as you will not be living alone. 
    That is not correct. There are changes of circumstance taht result in losing the SDP element but that is not one of them. Somebody who has an SDP transitional element keeps it even if they would no longer qualify for an SDP itself. 
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Sue_Alumni
    Options
    Yes thank you both for putting me right on this but any transitional payment  would end if the OP forms a couple with A ?
    Online Community Adviser

• poppy123456
    Options
    Sue_Scope said:
    Yes thank you both for putting me right on this but any transitional payment  would end if the OP forms a couple with A ?

In this case it would erode anyway because the couples element alone would increase their UC entitlement to more than £120 per month. The OP has already said they won't be a couple with A.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sue_Scope said:
    Yes it would end in that situation, but that isn't what your post said.
    poppy123456 said: In this case it would erode anyway because the couples element alone would increase their UC entitlement to more than £120 per month. The OP has already said they won't be a couple with A.
    It wouldn't erode, it would be removed.
    Transitional element - Entitledto
    Your transitional element will be removed if, for example:
    • a partner leaves or joins your household
    • you were earning above the administrative earnings threshold of £79.70 a week in your first assessment period, but your earnings have since dropped beneath this level for three assessment periods in a row (for couples this is a combined earnings threshold of £127.40 a week)
    • your Universal Credit award ends
    (Not relevant to this thread but the middle bullet point is a particular trap. Am aware of one person who was paid a bonus in their pay period that fell in their first UC AP which meant they fell foul of this rule and lost the SDP element. Completely unfair.)
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Sue_Alumni
    Options
    Thank you both for your comments
    Online Community Adviser

• poppy123456
    Options
    Thanks calcotti. It's all a moot point anyway because it's already been stated the OP will not be living as a couple.
  • milo2022
    milo2022 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    Options
    I was working upto dec 20 and then started on the sick and i dont get the severe disability premium added on 
  • Sue_Alumni
    Options
    OK thanks for updating us.  Have you had a chance of considering the information that has been posted?
    Online Community Adviser

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.