Hi, my name is milo2022! Will a live in carer impact benefits such as PIP, housing benefit and ESA? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is milo2022! Will a live in carer impact benefits such as PIP, housing benefit and ESA?

Options
milo2022
milo2022 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
Live in carer does it affect benefits such as pip, housing benefit & esa as have spare bedroom so wanting to know if sons carer was to move in only as live in carer in my spare bedroom would it effect the benefits stated 

Comments

• SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Morning @milo2022 welcome to our great group.
    I'm sure you will be greeted by some of the others when they wake up ha ha.
    Sorry i can't help you with your question, hopefully another member of the forum will be able to help.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

Good morning @milo2022

Welcome to the community, I hope you're having a nice Saturday morning. 

This is a very supportive and welcoming site to be a part of so I’m sure you’ll find it to be a positive outlet, feel free to have a look around and get involved wherever you’d like 😊 A few notable pages I’d recommend visiting would be:

• The virtual coffee lounge which is one of our categories, in which we play games and talk about general subjects such as hobbies and interests
    • The recent discussions page, which shows an overview of everything happening across the community
    • The categories page, which shows a full list of discussion groups on the community

If you have any questions at all then don’t hesitate to ask.

This isn't  a query I'm sure of the answer to, however I have moved your discussion over to our benefits and financial support category and tagged it as unanswered, hopefully a member who has knowledge or experience of this situation will be able to get back to you :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    PIP is not affected.

Do you get a Severe Disability Premium in your ESA?

I think the impact of a carer on ESA and HB is affected by who they are employed by and who is paying them. 

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • milo2022
    Options
    No i dont get esa im on universal credit & lwcra but the persons who i care for his mum is on esa but she has 2 adult sons living with her so doesnt get the severe disability premium but her youngest son claims carers allowance for her and one of the sons is who i care for and i waa going to move in as a live in carer to look after her son & just wanted to make sure how the benefits would be effected on both sides 
  • Sue_Alumni
    Sue_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 486 Pioneering
    Options
    Hello and welcome to the online community,

I'm not clear from your first post whether you are proposing to move in with the person you refer to or whether you were thinking about whether the son you care for could move in with you ?  Could you please clarify  and to help me understand your query can you please let me know: -
    1 what elements do you get in your UC in addition to the LCWRA.
    2 As detailed above please clarify  whether you are planning on moving in with this person or whether one of the sons is going to move in with you ?
    3 Do any of these people provide care for you ? 
    4 If you are moving in with this person are  you and this person a couple ?
    5 Is this person also on UC ? 

Online Community Adviser

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • milo2022
    Options
    I could move in and be a live in carer for the son wanting to know would it affect their benefits and if so which & how much by and im on universal credit get lwrca and housing and no i dont have anyone caring for me and the person i care for is on universal credit
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,332 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If you move in with the person you're caring for then you would no longer be claiming for help with the rent where you live now, so this would stop.
    Are you being paid for looking after this person? As you're claiming LCWRA in with your UC then you won't be able to claim carers element as well. If you claim carers allowance then it's deducted in full from any UC entitlement.
    Is there a spare bedroom for you to move in with this person?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • milo2022
    Options
    I get Carers allowance for looking after the son and it is already deducted from my universal credit and could the housing association give me a tenancy for the bedroom or would that not be allowed and yeah they have a spare bedroom in the property his mum is currently paying bedroom tax of around £40 every 2 weeks 
  • calcotti
    Options
    It seems unlikely that the landlord will give you a separate tenancy. If permitted, the mother could possibly sublet a room to you.
    Can you clarify whether or not you are related to the mother or son.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • milo2022
    Options
    No i am not related to any of them
  • calcotti
    Options
    Her ESA is not affected by you moving in.
    Her PIP is not affected.

For HB and any CTR I am less sure.
    If you are not paying anything for the room then I think you may be another non dependant but because she gets PIP there will be no non dependant deductions. What I'm not sure is whether or not she would be allowed an extra bedroom for you in which case her housing benefit would increase.

If you pay her anything as a lodger then you will not be a non dependant but the money you pay her will affect ESA and HB.
  • milo2022
    Options
    She already has a spare bedroom as she currently pays bedroom tax on it but i dont know about any benefits whether it would affect housing benefit as she isnt on universal credit shes on the old system still 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,332 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Will you be paying her anything as a lodger? If you will then as advised by calcotti this will affect her benefits.
    Have you also considered the impact it may have on you if you live with other people? Living with others after having your own home is completely different and could have a big impact on yourself and those that you'll be living with. If you give up your home it won't be easy to find somewhere else to live.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    Options
    milo2022 said:
    She already has a spare bedroom as she currently pays bedroom tax on it but i dont know about any benefits whether it would affect housing benefit as she isnt on universal credit shes on the old system still 
    I realise that and, as per my previous reply, I haven't managed to get my head around possible impact on the Housing Benefit.
  • milo2022
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Will you be paying her anything as a lodger? If you will then as advised by calcotti this will affect her benefits.
    Have you also considered the impact it may have on you if you live with other people? Living with others after having your own home is completely different and could have a big impact on yourself and those that you'll be living with. If you give up your home it won't be easy to find somewhere else to live.
    Im currently there morning till night anyways caring for the person who i care for and i go home at a night but its costing me alot of money going back & forth everyday 
  • milo2022
    Options
    No i wouldnt be paying her anything if i was to live there as a live in carer and i would be buying my own food & everything i need myself  
  • Sue_Alumni
    Options

Hi,

Thank you for clarifying the situation.  As I understand it you are proposing to give up your tenancy and move in with someone – let’s call her “A” in order to care for one of her adult sons who lives with her.  You are on UC and also get PIP and A is on legacy benefits and is also on PIP. You say that you are not moving in to be a couple.  This is really important.  On the basis of what you say, I can only reiterate the advice given previously. Please think carefully before you do anything as you may find it very difficult to be rehoused if things don’t work out.  

Your UC claim and PIP

1 Your housing costs element in your UC will come to an end as to qualify for the housing cost element you must normally occupy the property for which you pay rent. Are you intending to move in permanently with A? If you are only temporarily absent from your normal home, you can continue to be occupying it for up to 6 months whatever the reason for the absence.  Your absence must not be expected to last longer than 6 months. Perhaps this might be a sensible option for you to consider?

2 You will not get housing costs in your UC if you move to A’s house because either you are receiving housing costs in respect of your normal home because you are temporarily absent or because you are not living at A’s house under a commercial tenancy agreement.

3 Your LCWRA element will be unaffected

4 Your PIP will be unaffected

A’s legacy claim

1 Her Pip and ESA will be unaffected subject to some any payments paid in respect of rent  may be taken into account as income - see 3 below

2. Your moving in will not trigger a claim for UC unless you are moving in to be a couple in which case you will both need to claim UC as a couple. You will not have a choice.

3 For the purposes of ESA and HB  if A  shares her home with you under an informal arrangement any payment you make to her for  living and accommodation costs is ignored but a non dependent deduction may be made from any housing benefit. If A lets out a room to you under a commercial arrangement £20 of the weekly charge is ignored and the rest is counted as income. there is a slightly different rule if A provides some meals but you have said that you intend to be self sufficient. There will not be a non dependent deduction made because A receives PIP – provided it is the daily living component.  In any event you claim UC and provided you don’t have any earned income no non dependent deduction will be made. This link is really helpful 

How to deal with the bedroom tax - Shelter England

This says A won't be affected by the bedroom tax if a friend or family member moves into the spare room and they don't pay rent. She wont be won't be affected by the bedroom tax either if she  rents out the spare room to you as a lodger. Some of the rent you will pay you counts as income and some is ignored. In this scenario it might be sensible if there was a legally enforceable tenancy agreement between you. You would be able to get a housing cost element in your UC in respect of the rent and she would need to give you notice if she wished to terminate the tenancy. In this case you could not say you were temporarily absent from your "old" home . 

I would really urge you to think things through carefully as you could be left in a very vulnerable position if things don’t work out and you have given up your tenancy.  If there was a commercial agreement between you and A terminated it you would at least be able to show that you had not intentionally made yourself homeless in giving up your previous tenancy.

Online Community Adviser

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • calcotti
    edited May 2022
    Options
    deleted
  • Sue_Alumni
    Options
    Read on .. I think I covered that point further on in paragraph 3.  Apologies if unclear. 
    Online Community Adviser

• calcotti
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Sue_Scope said:
    Read on .. I think I covered that point further on in paragraph 3.  Apologies if unclear. 
    I realised that which is why I deleted my comment (not sure how you could see my initial comment which was deleted a few minutes before your post).

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.