financial help for son — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

financial help for son

Options
Peter234
Peter234 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Just wondering if anyone can give me  some advise on this matter , I have been  split  up with my partner for over  10 years  and she wants me to have my Son who is 14 years of age full time  to live with me , I am really happy about that and would like to know if i am entitled to any financial help for my son when he is under my carer, I would also like to know if i would need to make a new claim or if  my original claim would get effected by it ?    I live with my mother who is 75 years old  we both get higher rate PIP for daily living and mobility,  we also get   ESA , I also think we get a disability premiums, My mother also claims housing  benefit   ,  

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,327 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If your son lives with you and his mother currently claims child benefit and any other benefits like tax credits or UC for him then she will need to report the changes and the money will stop.
    You can then claim child benefit for him. As new claims for tax credits would not be possible then you'll need to claim Universal Credit if you want to claim extra money for him. This will then end any Income Based ESA you're claiming. If your ESA includes the Severe disability Premium then you'll be entitled to the SDP transitional protection in with your maximum UC entitlement.
    PIP will not be affected.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Peter234
    Peter234 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    great I just read through your notes and was wondering when making the need claim will i be required to take new medicals again for the new claim?  or do they just moved me on the U C with the same as what i was on with ESA , I don't think i am on severe disability premium i think i get  ESA support group and enhanced disability premium .
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,327 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If you're in the Support Group for ESA when you claim UC you will automatically be entitled to the LCWRA element from the start of your claim. UC LCWRA actually pays more than ESA Support Group, if your ESA doesn't unclude the SDP.
    Your ESA will continue to be paid as normal for 2 weeks and then any Income Related ESA will stop. If part of your ESA is Contributions based this will continue and be deducted in full from any UC entitlement.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.