Who is better off on Uni Credit — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Who is better off on Uni Credit

Options
stevie66
stevie66 Community member Posts: 35 Courageous
Hi all, does any one know any one who has used one of the benefit calculators and found on moving from old style benefits to uni credit they are getting more money?

I keep hearing it stated that some will get more and others less!

I've run the calculator in several scenarios and it is always less.
Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,483 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes of course some are better off, others will be worse off. 
    How much someone’s entitled to will totally depend on their circumstances. Some people won’t be entitled. 

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Lots of people are better off. One example would be a claimant on ESA Support Group without an SDP, they will get more on UC. On the other hand a claimant on ESA which includes an SDP will get less on UC.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • stevie66
    Options
    Thank you all for that info, very helpful.
    My friend is on  ESA  with SDP and pip.
    So she will be around £70 worse off a week.
    I don't know how so many people will cope with this forced change to UC.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    stevie66 said:
    Thank you all for that info, very helpful.
    My friend is on  ESA  with SDP and pip.
    So she will be around £70 worse off a week.
    I don't know how so many people will cope with this forced change to UC.

However, with managed migration there will be a transitional protection (TP) in place to make sure they won't be worse off. However, this will erode over time, just like all TP has in the past.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Carol26
    Carol26 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    I am going too at least £45 a week worse every week when l get transferred onto Universal Credit, because l so worried about my future and l am so scared that my Local Social Services may decide too put me back into a Nursing Home again, in order to same money on my personal care long term
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2022
    Options

Hi @stevie66. Thanks for your great question.

I can see @poppy123456, @calcotti, @Alicewillow and @Carol26 have responded to your question. This was a really thought-provoking thread with some really insightful responses. Do you feel your question has been answered now? If you need any further clarification or support, please don’t hesitate to let us know.

And thank you @Carol26 for sharing some of your personal experiences with us. I can hear the transfer to universal credit will be really difficult for you. Have you been able to talk to anyone else about your concerns? Sending you hugs. Please know you don’t have to go through this, or anything else, alone if you don’t want to  :)

Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • stevie66
    Options
    Thanks Carol,
    I suppose my question was intended to be thought provoking and some what retorical!
    Knowing a few people on disability benefits Checking the online calculators it seemed the more disabled you were the more your benefits would be decreased.
    Thanks again.
    @poppy123456@calcotti@Alicewillow and @Carol26

• poppy123456
    Options
    stevie66 said:

Knowing a few people on disability benefits Checking the online calculators it seemed the more disabled you were the more your benefits would be decreased.

Benefits aren't awarded based on anyone's disability.
  • stevie66
    Options
    Sorry let me reword that, the more benefit you receive due to disabilities the grater the effects are on moving to unicredit.
    Unless the online calculators are incorrect!
  • poppy123456
    Options
    That will depend on each individuals circumstances. As advised, transitional protection will be in place when moving accross for managed migration and the benefit calculators won't show that.
    I'm single and claim ESA Support Group with the SDP and also claim PIP both parts. If i moved across now because of a change of circumstances then yes, i will be worse off. I won't be worse off when i move because of managed migrationn but this will erode over time, which isn't good.
  • emancherry33
    emancherry33 Community member Posts: 3,640 Pioneering
    Options
    who better of the government, we get diddley , 
  • Breacon
    Breacon Community member Posts: 101 Courageous
    Options
    I'm wondering, if I will have to move, I couldn't cope, with any more hassle & stress, regarding benefits, I've only just got sorted with it all,
    Esa & support group....that would be a night mare, unless they would do it all for me......do we have a choice, I'm guessing not, as people wouldn't choose to move, & be worse of, financially.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Breacon said:
    I'm wondering, if I will have to move, I couldn't cope, with any more hassle & stress, regarding benefits, I've only just got sorted with it all,
    Esa & support group....that would be a night mare, unless they would do it all for me......do we have a choice, I'm guessing not, as people wouldn't choose to move, & be worse of, financially.
    If you are receiving income based ESA and not claiming getting Tax Credits then you will currently be required to claim UC in 2028.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Breacon said:

You're claiming New style ESA which isn't part of UC. In another thread here https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/91454/lcwra-and-council-tax-benefit#latest you already have a claim for UC but it's being reduced because of your ESA. I'm in the process of trying to advise you with your claim.

• JBS2022
    JBS2022 Scope Member Posts: 2,075 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Most people who don't get the SDP tend to be better off on UC than ESA
    Life is better in a fishtank  🐟

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.