Fatigue advice for ASD/ ADHD young person — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Fatigue advice for ASD/ ADHD young person

Options
CoffeeFirst
CoffeeFirst Scope Member Posts: 200 Pioneering
Hi,
My adult daughter suffers with ASD and ADHD. She’s currently doing a course that’s due to finish in a couple of weeks (then hopes to start University..if she can get in). 

She often complains of feeling tired and I worry about her. She’s been to her GP and had a blood test, all ok, but should I be doing anything else? 

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,493 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hmm, I suppose that could be down to a number of different things @CoffeeFirst. Has she expressed whether it's a physical fatigue, or more of a mental tiredness (or a mix of both)? 

I'm aware that people with ADHD often struggle with their sleep- does she have a good sleep routine? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • CoffeeFirst
    Options
    @Tori_Scope; I think it’s probably both. She’s nearing the end of her course and is very busy with that but I’ve noticed her physical energy always seems on the low side. When she does walk she complains it feel a long way, when in reality it really isn’t. 

She sleeps reasonably well with the occasional night when she finds it hard to wind down. 

• bexter73
    bexter73 Community member Posts: 44 Connected
    Options
    hi @CoffeeFirst

I too have a daughter going through similar. She’s not officially diagnosed ASD yet but her younger sister is and I have noticed that when they are stressed with school work they really struggle with being able to wind down. This makes them irritable and tired. 

Elder daughter sits her A levels really soon. She’s having joint and muscle pains, headaches and fatigue. Even when she’s not studying she’s unable to relax. Can’t wait for this to be over lol. I suppose the inability to be able to wind down must be exhausting for her. 

Her college have been very good and helped her access some good sites with relaxation exercises and tips. 

I’ll ask her later which ones she’s finding helpful and message them to you if you feel it might help?. 

• CoffeeFirst
    Options
    @bexter73; My daughter often tells me she’s struggling with joint and muscle pain along with headaches. Yes, please do let me know what sites to access. Thanks so much for replying 😀

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.