Esa and self employed. What's the process for declaring? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Esa and self employed. What's the process for declaring?

Options
sassy
sassy Community member Posts: 6 Connected
edited May 2022 in Work and employment
Hi,
I recently left my part time, permitted work due to illness. I'm on esa and pip.

I've started some online and telephone reviews work and need to declare asap. What is the process pls?

I think fill in pw1 form and then register as self employed at hmrc. I'm so scared to mess it all up, which is why is taken too long for me to put in the action here. I started 2 weeks ago, but put in my invoice to the company on 20th this month. 

I find all the info online vague and ambiguous so really need some easy and true direction if possible. 

Many thanks 
Sarah
Tagged:

Comments

• Sue_Alumni
    Sue_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 486 Pioneering
    Options
    I don't really know the answer to your question and hope some other community members are able to step in and give some information. Does this fact sheet help ? 
    Permitted work: factsheet - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

These 2 pages on our website may be of help:

Online Community Adviser

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Jo_2022
    Jo_2022 Community Volunteer Host Posts: 298 Pioneering
    Options
    Hiya @sassy:) It’s lovely to have you join us on the community. I hope someone is able to answer your questions. 

Community Volunteer Host with a passion for human rights.

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

• sassy
    Options
    Hi Sue_Scope I think somehow I have messaged you directly 😬 apologies. I don't know how to get that back and post on here as a reply... 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Could you copy the text from your message, and paste it into the comment box on this thread @sassy? That might be the easiest way of doing it. If you need any help, just give us a shout :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • sassy
    Options
    Tori_Scope... yes, found it! As below...

Thank you and thank you for the info. I've looked at these before and unfortunately not really been able to move forward. 

My understanding is yes you can be self employed and on esa. However some readings tell me only for 26 weeks as a test trade?. Is this still true? What happens after the 26 weeks?

Also registering as self employed has to be done within 1st Yr of trade but pw1 form asks for trader name. Also says you need uou need to submit pw1 before starting work but asap if you have started.. do i then register with hmrc then do pw1? How do I know all this is viable. I would look for a paye regular job if this plan may risk my current benefits. I fear moving forward without this knowledge.

So confusing. I just want to declare and be legal and not have my benefits affected but really don't understand the process..  

Is there a service that can help? Unfortunately I've been given wrong info from cab before..

Thanks
    Sarah

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.