What’s one job you would NEVER do? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What’s one job you would NEVER do?

Options
66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,686 Disability Gamechanger
I thought this could be an interesting topic.

Personally I could never ever do any public facing role. Shop assistant, call centre, police officer, etc.

The public (all ages and demographics) are so rude. I like to think I’m a nice person but only if people are nice to me. If someone was rude to me I’d end up saying something back or just telling them to do one.

What about you?

Comments

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2022
    Options
    I don’t think I could perform personal care, I’d be too embarrassed for one thing.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I would have loved to be a lawyer but couldn't be a defence lawyer trying to represent somebody I knew was guilty 
  • Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
    66Mustang said:
    I thought this could be an interesting topic.

Personally I could never ever do any public facing role. Shop assistant, call centre, police officer, etc.

The public (all ages and demographics) are so rude. I like to think I’m a nice person but only if people are nice to me. If someone was rude to me I’d end up saying something back or just telling them to do one.

What about you?

After leaving the forces, I did think about joining the police.....but decided against it because if someone spat on / at me, I would insert my baton where it`s not meant to go.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,663 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I spent all my working life in and around retail, the one job I could never have done was being a miner, and having worked so hard for so long the govt. of the day tossed them away like a piece of rubbish.
    The problem was for young people living in mining communities there was little else they could do.
    And now guess what? they are thinking of opening a new deep mine.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Clean up any one's sick - yuk 
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    As a paid job i wouldn't be a Teacher at a Senior school - some kids are so rude and naughty and just don't want to learn. x
  • 66Mustang
    edited May 2022
    Options

All great ones everyone, thank you!!!

@janer1967 yes that’s a really good point. I think you need a certain sort of moral flexibility to use your skills to get someone off that you know is guilty.

@Cartini I'm with you there, I'd actually choose the forces over the police (although I have massive respect for anyone who does either). At least in the forces if someone attacks you you are (generally) allowed to stand up!!! I do have a close family member who did 30 years in the police but they started in the 80s and it was a different time. They said if they were considering joining today they wouldn’t do so.

@SueHeath yes I agree that school children can be horrible. Actually to one-up your suggestion of a teacher I’d present my suggestion: the supply teacher!!! They were treated mercilessly by the kids.

I was fortunate at school because I was in all the top sets with the clever kids (jury is out as to how I managed that) - people in those classes wanted to learn and did respect the teachers...I felt quite sorry for the kids who were not so clever but still had the drive to learn as they were sat in a class full of kids messing around with a teacher who couldn't control them. :(

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,493 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Anything to do with needles would probably be mine, like a nurse, phlebotomist, or doctor :grimace:
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    Anything to do with needles would probably be mine, like a nurse, phlebotomist, or doctor :grimace:
    Lucky you don’t have to inject x4 daily. 

When I was diagnosed as T1 diabetic at a young age I refused to do it, parents, teachers, school nurse had to do the lot. 

Now it’s second nature. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    Yes, I do fear that @MarkM88. I'm sure I'd get used to it if I had to, though, even if I still found it a bit difficult! I'm glad it's second nature for you now :) 

• MarkM88
    Options
    Yes, I do fear that @MarkM88. I'm sure I'd get used to it if I had to, though, even if I still found it a bit difficult! I'm glad it's second nature for you now :) 
    Yes, totally. I’m like you though, I still wouldn’t want to be a nurse, etc, the blood would put me off. 

In terms of what others have said, I bet some people would be surprised what they could do. 

I always said I could never do personal care, but when I was a support worker for individuals who had acquired brain injuries, part of the role included personal care and didn’t think I would be able to do it, but I did. 
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    @Tori_Scope never heard of someone being afraid of giving the injections, taking them yes! Not saying it’s not valid just it surprised me, hehe

That’s a good point about surprising ourselves @MarkM88
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Couldn’t be an American executioner, giving a lethal injection to someone. Probably couldn’t be a vet either for the same reason.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Tori_Scope
    Options
    I'm scared of pretty much everything to do with needles/injections @66Mustang. Having them done, giving them, seeing them being done, knowing I'm near one, thinking about them... 

And good point @MarkM88 :) We're often capable of more than we think. 

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Tori_Scope try having an injection in your eye that's just another level 
    Like many I inject insulin so used to them and they have never bothered me 
    However the eye ones do I've got used to them but still get bit anxious 
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    I remember you posting about that a while ago @janer1967, and I have to say that it made me wince a little! 

• 66Mustang
    Options
    @janer1967 i hate everything to do with eyes, well everything medical/invasive, find them really scary

Do you have to somehow keep your eye open for the injection or does the needle go in through the eyelid?
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    And yep I realise I’ve said I hate everything to do with eyes then gone on to ask a graphic question
  • MarkM88
    Options
    66Mustang said:
    @janer1967 i hate everything to do with eyes, well everything medical/invasive, find them really scary

Do you have to somehow keep your eye open for the injection or does the needle go in through the eyelid?
    I’ve had a few injections before in my eyes after they found fluid at the back. I think there are different ways, for mine they injected numbing drops, clean the eye, they then clamped the eye open, asked to look in a particular direction and the neeele goes in the white part of the eye, clamp removed, antibiotic drops put in and all done 
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    Thanks @MarkM88, interesting!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.