Do hotels understand accessible rooms — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do hotels understand accessible rooms

Options
janer1967
janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
edited May 2022 in Coffee lounge
As you all know I went away this weekend we had booked a disabled accessible room at a well known hotel chain and even sent an additional email to make sure this had been picked up on the booking and had confirmation it had 

We checked in to be told we had been upgraded to executive suite with walk in shower.  We queried if this included rails in bathroom they said no but to have look see if it was OK as that was only room they had 

We checked the room out to find wheelchair wouldn't even go through bathroom door.

They obviously thought a bigger room with walk in shower was all a wheelchair bound person needs 

Went back to tell them not suitable. They did sort it by ringing the guest that had a disabled room allocated to see if they needed disabled rooms or not thankfully they didn't so we were swapped rooms 

While they were helpful and it was resolved we would have been stuck if the other guest needed it.

Rant over has anyone else had similar experience 

Comments

• SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It does make you feel that they did not read your requests properly, or didn't communicate with the reception about your needs. xx
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It is frustrating to hear another example of the kind of access issues which make going away more of a chore than a holiday! 

I am glad to hear that it all worked out @janer1967, it's puzzling to hear that they assumed you'd wanted to be upgraded in the first place, and further, that this "upgrade" would make things easier for you!

I went away to Brighton recently and played a rather risky strategy by not double checking if the room I booked was accessible. The room was, but the lift was only just big enough to squeeze my chair inside backwards, and risked damage not only to my chair, but the lift itself. They mentioned at reception it was from the 1920s, but nobody accompanied us to check we could access and use it safely.

I think I'll feedback, and tell then to publish the dimensions of the lift on their website. But really, this sort of prompting and checking shouldn't be down to hotel guests.
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Alex_Scope it is something that always bothers me before we go away if the accommodation will be actually accessible as I don't think they realise what is required 

Also constantly having to check or ring places to make sure it makes booking lot more complex 

We stayed in another well known chain a bit back the room was accessible but the bed was really low which I struggle to get off 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There's an awful lot of "admin" we do to access pretty much anything smoothly, which we shouldn't have to, but in many ways it's helpful to read about other experiences :)

I think unless there's someone who knows about access needs working on site, it's not something staff are generally aware of, and building awareness should be an organisation's priority. 
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Siwheels73
    Siwheels73 Scope Member Posts: 746 Pioneering
    Options
    I must admit, we have been to hotels of varying types in the UK, and most of them have massive differences in the interpretation of access. We have also been to several places in the US and Canada, and they have it wonderfully right and have proper legislation explaining exactly what you can expect. Here, not so much!
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Oh, these differences are really interesting @Siwheels73. I am intrigued, are they different in the types of things they provide as well as the information they provide?

They say you learn something new every day! Thanks for sharing these observations with us  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.