NEW STYLE ESA HELP — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

NEW STYLE ESA HELP

Options
lpm2008
lpm2008 Community member Posts: 10 Connected
Hello, I was wondering if someone could help me. 

I was on income related ESA for three years until February this year. I tried to go back to work in February and I managed twelve weeks until my health happened to get worse and I had to leave employment.

I was advised to apply for universal credit as I had just missed the 12 week rapid reclaim date. Is there anyway DWP would help if it’s just out the 12 weeks?

I have since applied for new style ESA. I have no breaks in my national insurance record but have only had credits to my record for the last 3 years. Am I right in thinking I won’t be entitled to it? I just can’t seem to get my head around it. 

Many thanks 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

I doubt dwp will consider changing the rules around the 12 weeks there has to be a cut off somewhere 

As you thought you won't be entitled to new style esa 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    lpm2008 said:
    I have since applied for new style ESA. I have no breaks in my national insurance record but have only had credits to my record for the last 3 years. Am I right in thinking I won’t be entitled to it?
    That's correct, you will not be entitled to receive new style ESA. If you are applying for UC then applying for ns-ESA makes no difference anyway as even if paid it would simply be deducted from the UC.

Unfortunately you will have to go through a new Work Capability assessment under UC and will have to wait until the fourth payment before you can get the LCWRA element even if it was awarded.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,368 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    When you claim UC you will need to report your health condition and make sure you send your first fit note within 7 days. You will need to continue to send them without any gaps until a decision's been made on the WCA.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • celyn
    celyn Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Options
    Can you end your claim with UC and then claim new style esa? I am in a similar situation , and basically universal credit is the pits of despair , I have read a few posts here that say dwp makes desicions and not our doctors in what world is that fair?? Doctors study for years and now their opinion counts for nothing I feel so depressed it’s certainly not a world to become ill in .
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2022
    Options
    celyn said:
    Can you end your claim with UC and then claim new style esa? 
    New style ESA is a contribution based benefit. You are only able to receive new style ESA if you meet the NI qualifying requirements for the tax years 2019-20 and 2020-21.
    https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/employment-and-support-allowance-contribution-based

If you meet these conditions you can claim ESA alongside UC. The ESA will be reduced from the UC.

The Work Capability Assessment for ESA and UC is the same.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,368 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    celyn said:
    Can you end your claim with UC and then claim new style esa?
    It's already been advised that they won't be entitled to New Style ESA because they haven't worked in the previous 2 tax years.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.