If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Hi, my name is Kamel1977! How long does it take to challenge a benefit decision?

Options
Kamel1977
Kamel1977 Community member Posts: 20 Listener
edited May 2022 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi, my name is kamel1977
How long it takes for a challenging a benefit decision (mandatory reconsideration)

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,195 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI,
    Between 2-12 weeks, sometimes longer.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,650 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Kamel1977

Wishing you a warm welcome to the community, I hope you are well.

I hope the above reply has helped to give you an idea as to the length of the MR process. Is this in relation to a PIP claim you are in the middle of?

This is a very supportive and welcoming site to be a part of so I’m sure you’ll find it to be a positive outlet, feel free to have a look around and get involved wherever you’d like 😊 A few notable pages I’d recommend visiting would be:

• The virtual coffee lounge which is one of our categories, in which we play games and talk about general subjects such as hobbies and interests
    • The recent discussions page, which shows an overview of everything happening across the community
    • The categories page, which shows a full list of discussion groups on the community

If you have any questions at all then don’t hesitate to ask.

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Kamel1977
    Options
    I have 27 week and I still didn’t hear anything about my decision 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Kamel1977 said:
    I have 27 week and I still didn’t hear anything about my decision 
    Are you saying you’ve waited 27 weeks for the MR decision?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Kamel1977
    Options
    Yes 
  • Kamel1977
    Options
    Do you have any idea what I have to do now please 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You will need to contact PIP and ask them because they are the only ones that can tell you what's going on. 27 weeks is rather a long time to wait for the MR decision.
  • Kamel1977
    Options
    PIP or DWP
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Kamel1977 said:
    PIP or DWP

PIP is part of DWP. The number to ring is 0800 121 4433. When you requested the MR did you put it in writing or request it over the phone?
  • Kamel1977
    Options
    I request it over my UC journal 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    So this is regarding the work capability assessment? If so, were you found fit for work?
    You've posted your question in the PIP section so i thought you were talking about PIP, as you didn't correct me when i advised you to ring PIP, i continued to assume it was PIP.

• Kamel1977
    Options
    Thank you 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You didn’t answer my question.
    So this is regarding the work capability assessment? If so, were you found fit for work?

If it’s regarding this then you need to put a message onto your journal and ask them.
    If it’s for PIP you wouldn’t request the MR on your UC journal because it’s nothing to do with UC.
  • Sue_Alumni
    Sue_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 485 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi
    So we can help could help us understand whether you want to challenge a decision regarding your work capability or PIP. If it is about PIP and you have requested a MR in your online UC journal  PIP wont see this.  Provided its not more than 13 months from the date of the DWP decision relating to your PIP you can request a late MR but you must give a reason why it's late.  If it is a PIP decision you want to challenge use the MR form on line 
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/challenge-a-decision-made-by-the-department-for-work-and-pensions-dwp
    If you are challenging a work capability decision you should follow this up  as @poppy123456 says as 27 weeks is a long time to wait and decisions are meant to be made in a reasonable time period.  
    Online Community Adviser

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Kamel1977
    Options

Hi I did message them on my UC and they replied  to me saying when we have the decision we let you know 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    27 weeks for an MR decision is quite ridiculous.
  • Sue_Alumni
    Options
    Hi @Karmel1977,
    I agree with @poppy123456.  Whilst there is no defined time limit for the DWP to respond to a MR request it is established in caselaw (see link below) that a response must be made in a reasonable time frame and clearly 27 weeks is not reasonable in any way.  I suggest you state this clearly in your online journal.   It is possible to challenge delays in decision making as explained below.  I also suggest therefore that you contact Citizens Advice and they may be able to explore with you what has happened here and may be able to help you further.
    Ask CPAG | Welfare benefits judicial review
    Online Community Adviser

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Kamel1977
    Options
    CAB send me email to forward it to UC and still same answer they told me I have to wait 
  • Sue_Alumni
    Options
    Good morning @Karmel1977
    That's very disappointing and I appreciate that you may be finding this process very frustrating. It is possible that in pressing the DWP for a reply they may just decide not to revise their decision. Even if that happens you will have a decision you can appeal against if you choose to - at the moment you appear to be in a state of uncertainty. 
    I would suggest that you ask CA to contact UC direct on your behalf to escalate the matter.  You will need to give CA  authority to do this and the DWP has rigid details of the form of consent it requires.
    Online Community Adviser

• Kamel1977
    Options
    Who is the CA
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.