River Cruises for sight impaired? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

River Cruises for sight impaired?

Tanga
Tanga Community member Posts: 8 Listener
edited May 2022 in Sensory impairments
Hi. Has anyone been on a river cruise? We are trying to find out if any are suitable for my partner whose distance vision is limited. So we want to find one where the boats sail close to the banks (less than 100 metres) and where there is a lot to see actually on the banks rather than in the far distance.
Tagged:

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2022
    Hmm, I'm not sure @Tanga. Hopefully a visually impaired person who's been on one will find your post soon :) 

Have you tried calling the companies you're looking at to see whether they have any guidance on the accessibility and details of the cruise? 

Edit:

As an example, I believe Saga do river cruises (though I'm not sure what kind). They have a section on their website about accessibility, including this snippet on hearing and visual impairment:
    Although not a requirement, it is recommended that a blind or visually impaired passenger travels with a fare paying companion. This recommendation is made purely on the basis of personal safety. In the unlikely event of an emergency on board, a travelling companion will greatly aid your timely relocation to your allocated muster station.
    Assistance that can be provided includes:
    Upon arrival at the terminal
    • Someone to meet you at the terminal.
    • Guidance to and through check-in and to your cabin.
    • Assistance with baggage through check-in and to your cabin.
    During the cruise
    • Assistance in making your way to toilet facilities in public spaces.
    • Assistance to your seat in any dining facility.
    • If accompanied by a companion, a cabin adjacent to them, if available at the time of booking.
    • Orientation tours on request.
    • Advice on essential information regarding the planned route.
    For disembarkation
    • Retrieval of baggage and assistance with its transfer to the terminal.
    • Assistance from your cabin to disembarkation and through customs and immigration.
    • Assistance from baggage collection to the point of exit.
    The vessel can provide all of its daily publications (e.g. cinema guide, daily paper) in large print upon request; Braille playing cards are also available upon request.

In order to assist deaf or hard of hearing guests with the passenger embarkation safety drill, a subtitled safety video is available on the cabin's television. This video runs on a loop and is available 24/7. Those who are unable to hear the Captain's safety announcement on embarkation day should take the time to watch this video at the earliest opportunity. Any member of the ship’s crew will be happy to answer any questions you may have resulting from watching the video.

A number of visual alarm units are available on request. When fitted into the cabin these will flash indicator lights when loud alarms sound. Also they provide a fixture that will vibrate a pillow to alert you whilst you are sleeping.

Most entertainment rooms on each vessel have hearing loop systems installed. This will improve sound volume and clarity with hearing aids switched to the 'T' position.

If you need to notify us of any special requirements, please do so at the time of booking. If you've already booked please make sure you notify us no later than 48 hours before departure by calling our Customer Care team free on 0800 373 034.

National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Tanga
    Tanga Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Thanks Tori.  I've been emailing cruise companies but the only one that answered was one that turns out to be inappropriate for us. I intend to call the others. Saga do seem to consider disabilities and some of their assistance could be useful. Thanks!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.