Pip

Miarose17
Miarose17 Community member Posts: 31 Connected
edited May 2022 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi my names neville i was diagnosed osteoarthritus in both knees 15 years ago and fibromyalga 14 years ago ive had to leave work now ive been get the low rate of dla £24.45 but i rang pip up for the forms women on phone said if i get turned down for pip i lose my dla is this true thanks

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 60,503 Championing
    edited May 2022
    Hi,

Yes, that's correct your DLA will end once a decision's been made on your PIP claim. If the worst happens and you're refused PIP you can challenge the decision.
  • Miarose17
    Whys that because ive still got bad knees and they gave me that for good so why do they stop it
  • poppy123456
    edited May 2022
    Because you've started a PIP claim so your DLA will now end once the PIP decision's been made. DLA no longer exists for those born after 9th April 1948.
    Didn't you get some expert advice before you claimed PIP?

• Miarose17
    Hi ive been awarded lcwra if my wife puts in for carers allowance to look after me will i lose my lcwra thankz nev
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,883 Championing
    Miarose17 said:
    Hi ive been awarded lcwra if my wife puts in for carers allowance to look after me will i lose my lcwra thankz nev
    No. Note that your wife can only claim Carer’s Allowance or Carer’s Element (via UC) if you get PIP Daily Living or Middle-High Care DLA.
  • Miarose17
    I get standard rate care and standard rate mobility so i wont lose my lcwra if my wife claim carers thanks
  • poppy123456
    Miarose17 said:
    I get standard rate care and standard rate mobility so i wont lose my lcwra if my wife claim carers thanks

No.
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,883 Championing
    Miarose17 said:
    No. She can go ahead and claim.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,005 Championing
    edited February 2023
    If you are living together and have a joint UC claim she simply needs to report that she is a carer through her UC journal and she will then get the carer element of UC added. She doesn't need to claim Carer's Allowance and doing so will make no difference to your joint income because the CA will be deducted from the UC payment.

She could ask UC if they will backdate the carer element to when your PIP award started (But thy may say she should have reported it sooner).