Housing Benefit Question — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Housing Benefit Question

liltune Community member Posts: 10 Listener
Hi i have a few questions about housing benefit someone could possibly help me with

i get UC and PIP right now, single male

1. my understanding is that if i get PIP daily Living (which i do) then i'm entitled to the 1 bedroom rate instead of the shared accommodation is this correct?

2. if so whats happens when my PIP goes to review next year where i have to re-apply again? or i lose the PIP daily living aspect will i always receive the 1 bed rate or will it drop down to the shared accommodation rate and now i will have to cover the rest of the rent myself? 

i hope somebody understands what I'm asking TLDR can someone explain housing benefit to me regarding PIP daily living and all that comes with it



  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,857 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2022
    Unless you're living in either supported or temporary housing then your rent will be paid with your UC and not through housing benefit. It's called housing element.
    If you're privately renting, single and under 35 your PIP daily living award will mean you're entitled to the 1 bedroom rate. If you lose the daily living PIP then you'll be entitled to the shared rate of LHA.
    If you're 35 and over you'll be entitled to the 1 bedroom rate, regardless of whether you have a daily living award of PIP or not. https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/benefits/benefits_for_under_35s_in_shared_housing
    If there's a shortfall then yes you will need to cover that yourself. If this happens you can apply for discretionary housing payment from your local Authority.
    If you're renting from social housing the LHA doesn't apply.

    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • liltune
    liltune Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    hi poppy thanks for answering you pretty much summed it up for me, maybe worth mentioning i also get the LCWRA part of UC does that affect it at all?

  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    No lcwra doesn't affect housing element 
  • liltune
    liltune Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    ok thanks for all the help much appreciated  
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    You are welcome @liltune. Help is the very least you deserve. If you need anything else, please don't hesitate to let us know. We are all here for you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

    Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.