Hi, I'm Jupiter61! Does CPAP machine plus high blood pressure qualify for any extra PIP points?

Options
Jupiter61
Jupiter61 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited May 2022 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Does the use of a CPAP machine plus high blood pressure qualify for any extra PIP points?

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,203 Championing
    Options
    Hi @Jupiter61 - & welcome to the community. PIP isn't based on any diagnosis, medication or equipment, rather is about how some aspects of your daily living &/mobility are affected. You can see the activities/descriptors looked at with PIP here:  https://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/asset-library/Personal-Independence-Payment-Descriptors-and-Scores-April-2021.pdf
    If you're already claiming PIP, then your high BP may not add any points unless it makes your disability harder to manage looking at the activities/descriptors above. As the CPAP machine is used at night, & night times aren't relevant as far as PIP is concerned, this may not give you any extra  points either. Hope I've explained, but please do come back with any queries.

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,649 Championing
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Hello @Jupiter61

Welcome to the community, I hope you are well this morning :) I have moved your discussion over to our PIP category and edited the title so that other members have an idea about the theme of your post. 

I hope to see you getting involved more around the community. This is a very supportive and welcoming site to be a part of so I’m hopeful that you’ll find it to be a positive outlet. Feel free to have a look around and get involved wherever you’d like 😊 A few notable pages I’d recommend visiting would be:

• The virtual coffee lounge which is one of our categories, in which we play games and talk about general subjects such as hobbies and interests
    • The recent discussions page, which shows an overview of everything happening across the community
    • The categories page, which shows a full list of discussion groups on the community

If you have any questions at all then don’t hesitate to ask.

• Jupiter61
    Options
    Thanks so much to Chiareids for the Cambridgeshire PIP list of descriptors. This is very useful to know. I am already in receipt of the lower non mobility PIP payment but was getting very concerned about the added cost to my electricity bill by using a CPAP machine at home as I have been doing for many months now. This is especially a worry since the horrendous rise in energy costs. I really feel PIP should be taking this into account when it comes to using an electric appliance which, if I didn't, would have dire consequences to my health ( I have sleep apnoea) and would cause the inflammation behind my eyes to lead to blindness and my already high blood pressure to sky rocket! I have no choice really but toincur the added cost of running the machine.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,203 Championing
    Options
    You're very welcome @Jupiter61 - I can appreciate that needing to use a CPAP machine is a concern due to rising electricity costs. It looks like we all will benefit to a certain extent from the Chancellor's words today, so hopefully this will help. Please see: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58090533

• Jupiter61
    Options
    Yes indeed -I've only just heard about that. Played it all back on Parliament tv. I await some financial help in great anticipation! Will check out your link and other help in the Press in deciphering the details!
  • ShirleyW
    ShirleyW Community member Posts: 355 Empowering
    Options