My ADHD Personal Independence Payment argument and 'Hi Guys' — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My ADHD Personal Independence Payment argument and 'Hi Guys'

Options
PaulyT73
PaulyT73 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
edited May 2022 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi everyone,

My name is Paul. I joined the other day particularly to try and contact a member that succeeded in claiming Personal Independence Payment for her husband who has ADHD?

However? As I continue to research the condition and learn more and more about myself? The more fuel I realise that I have at my disposal in order to argue my case and ultimately, hopefully succeed!?

If I succeed? I then plan to help as many other people as I possibly can?

Comments

• PaulyT73
    Options
    Hi @Teddybear12. Thankyou, and yes I plan to and definitely will.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

There is lots of info on this site about how to claim pip if you look in the benefits section 

Also lots of members with adhd here who also claim pip successful 
  • PaulyT73
    Options
    Hi @janer1967 and thankyou for that info? Maybe you could direct me to the people who have been successful?

Thanks again..
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,765 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    As PIP isn’t awarded based on any diagnosis and we are all affected differently by these conditions, it’s impossible to compare someone else to yourself. 
    What you need to do is concentrate on exactly which descriptors you think apply to you and your reasons why. Include a couple of real world examples of exactly what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies. Lots of information and advice in the PIP/DLA section.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I can't direct you to individuals you will need to look in the categories to find them but as poppy states every case is different as everyone is affected different 
  • martobluesman65
    martobluesman65 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    Hi Paul  I just had my assessment for PIP for ADHD  and failed  ,  so I am also looking for information on how to fight this,
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,698 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I feel like ADHD is very misunderstood and many people think it's just bad behaviour and only affects young children which isn't true at all but it works against you when trying to get support as noone understands it and all the areas involved. You then need to work harder to give examples about how it affects you because there's no obvious understanding for people and same with  your PIP form. You need to give really clear examples of how it makes you qualify just saying you can't do something because you have ADHD isn't going to be enough. You need to explain what happens and why when you try each of the activities. 
  • martobluesman65
    Options
    I did that during the telephone assessment and when I received the decision it was like they never listened , but I not surprised, PIP is not easy to claim there is more failure rates, but everyone that knows me was shocked, and disgusted, I am looking for information,  I am going to fight this,
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    Did you do it on your form as well as the form is really important too I think some people think it's all about assessment but it isn't. How long was your decision and have you sent a mandatory reconsideration?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I did that during the telephone assessment and when I received the decision it was like they never listened , but I not surprised, PIP is not easy to claim there is more failure rates, but everyone that knows me was shocked, and disgusted, I am looking for information,  I am going to fight this,

The majority of people claim PIP successfully first time without any problems. The issue is, we just rarely hear the good stories because if someone's happy with their decision they have no questions to ask so we don't hear their story.
    The assessors and the decision maker at DWP do not need to have any understanding of any conditions because PIP isn't awarded based on any diagnosis. It's the claimants responsibility to prove they qualify.
    For those real world incidents you should give at least 2 per descriptor that you think applies to you. Include detailed information such as where you were, what exactly happened, did anyone see it and what the consequences were.
    If you haven't yet requested the Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) then this is your first step. The most likely outcome of the MR is the decision will remain the same, if it does then it's Tribunal. You should put the MR request in writing stating where and why you think you should have scored those points and include the real world incidents.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • martobluesman65
    Options
    the problem with ADD is the lack of understanding,  when I read my PIP assessment the ignorance was shocking, I have to disagree with you, in my case there was too many assumptions, it felt the assessor made his own personal  judgement,  if you don't understand something like ADD how can you make an honest evaluation of the person who is suffering?  This is might shock you it's not about PIP being successful it's about stopping the ignorance of the condition that people have of ADD.  He question my intelligence my ability to write, etc, how in God's name can you base a decision based that I sound and speak intelligent.  I am not going to go into my assessment any further,  they advised on the form to call for Mandatory Consideration I will do that, I will look up all cases with decisions, I will take further up the food chain, if I win great fantastic but this not about winning but getting respect and understanding which many don't have when it comes to ADD.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    This has been talked about to death here over the years. No understanding of any condition is needed because PIP isn't about a diagnosis. As we are all affected differently by these conditions it's your responsibity to expain exactly how your conditions affect you. If you don't give enough of detail then yes they will come to their own conclusions.
    The best way to request the MR is in writing, this way you can explain where and why you think you should have scored those points. When you ring to request it how do you know the person on the phone is going to do this. If you give more detail on the phone how do you know the person is going to type what you tell them? You can also use this form. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/challenge-a-decision-made-by-the-department-for-work-and-pensions-dwp

• martobluesman65
    Options
      thank you for your suggestions, but I move on from here, more or less presenting a case much like a court, I will do my research,
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    This has been talked about to death here over the years. No understanding of any condition is needed because PIP isn't about a diagnosis. 

But couldn't a lack of understanding or misconceptions hurt a claim like in the way described? Someone with detailed knowledge of ADHD would easier see that you can be intelligent and articulate and physically able but still find it impossible to do basic every day tasks like washing yourself reliaby. Someone with preconcieved ideas will never understand or even believe some of the restrictions no matter how much evidence or detail you provide. Even if you can evidence them, the misbelief that someone is just lazy if they're physically able and intelligent but claim can't some basic tasks will surely prejudice the outcome intentionally or not. Which I guess is why giving lots of details like you said is so important to help explain things. Sadly for someone with ADHD going into detail and finding the relevant information can be so hard. As can making ourselves understood lol
  • poppy123456
    Options
    @Biblioklept Yes i agree with you but this still doesn't mean a decision maker and the assessor needs to have knowledge of any specific conditions.
  • poppy123456
    Options
      thank you for your suggestions, but I move on from here, more or less presenting a case much like a court, I will do my research,

When taking a benefits decision to Tribunal, you are not in court. Some hearings maybe held in a court building but they are nothing like a court and you're not on trial.
  • martobluesman65
    Options
    I don't mean in the literal sense but in terms of presenting evidence ,   
  • prur
    prur Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    I’ve just had my rejection letter for my ADHD PIP claim. My first (& subsequent) reaction was/is to cry. I am so frustrated.
    Like @martobluesman65, I feel like the assessor didn’t listen to a word I said or even read my form. She didn’t have a clue how hard I had to concentrate just to focus on what she was asking me. 
    Having done a benefits & work (https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/pip-test-form) PIP self assessment test, I now know where I went wrong; I mistook being physically capable of and knowing how to do things with actually being able to do things; yes, in theory I can make a meal, eat nutritional food, take my medication, keep on top of my bills & invoices (I’m self employed) but in reality can I? No. Or not without prompting or coming up with routines to remind me anyway. When you live alone, there is nobody to prompt you.
    How do we explain to people without AHDH or ADD, just difficult we find it to do things that should be simple? Just how debilitating procrastination really is for us? 

• poppy123456
    Options
    prur said:

Having done a benefits & work (https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/pip-test-form) PIP self assessment test, I now know where I went wrong;

The PIP self test is one of the most unreliable things to complete when applying for PIP, unless you completely understand the PIP descriptors and criteria, the majority of people don't. When completing this test, it's very easy to overscore and even underscore yourself.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    JamieB86 said:
    PaulyT73 said:
    Hi everyone,

My name is Paul. I joined the other day particularly to try and contact a member that succeeded in claiming Personal Independence Payment for her husband who has ADHD?

However? As I continue to research the condition and learn more and more about myself? The more fuel I realise that I have at my disposal in order to argue my case and ultimately, hopefully succeed!?

If I succeed? I then plan to help as many other people as I possibly can?

Shouldn't it be about how it affects you and your experiences rather than what you read?

The thread is 5 months old and the OP hasn't been active since beginning of June.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.