Severe Disability Premium — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Severe Disability Premium

Options
kiny333
kiny333 Community member Posts: 14 Connected
Hello everyone and good afternoon. I'd really appreciate some clarification if anyone can help. I receive Income-related ESA and am in the support group. I have just been awarded PIP ( Standard rate of daily living ) and from what I can understand from what I have read online this would make me eligible for the Severe disability premium? I already receive the Enhanced disability premium for being in the support group. I live alone and no one claims any sort of care allowances for me. Could someone please clarify if it's either rate, standard or enhanced daily living PIP along with Income-related ESA makes me eligible for the Severe disability premium. I have read that it's either. Is this correct? Thank you 😘✌

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,246 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes, any rate of daily living PIP would qualify you for the SDP. You need to ring ESA to claim it. It can be backdated to the start of your PIP award, providing you qualified at the time.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • kiny333
    Options
    Thank you so much for your reply. I really appreciate it.
    You say I need to call ESA to claim it? It does say on the .Gov site that you don't, it's paid automatically if eligible. I'm a liite confused? 😘✌
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The Disability Premium will be added automatically.

The Severe Disability Premium cannot be added automatically because DWP have to confirm your living arrangements in order to know if you are eligible.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • kiny333
    Options
    The DWP already know my living arrangements and It does says on the .Gov site that it is paid automatically. Also says the same on the NHS site. Thanks for your help though. I'm more confused now than I was before... 🙁
  • poppy123456
    Options
    kiny333 said:
    You say I need to call ESA to claim it? It does say on the .Gov site that you don't, it's paid automatically if eligible. I'm a liite confused? 😘✌

That's not exactly what it says. This is related to the disability premium £36.20 and not the SDP. The disability premium isn't payable when claiming Income Related ESA.

You do not have to claim disability premium. If you’re eligible, it’s automatically added to your:

• Income Support
    • Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
    • Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
    SDP isn't automatically paid because of the criteria involved.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    kiny333 said:
    Also says the same on the NHS site.
    Why would it tell you about a disability premium on a NHS website? SDP has never automatically been paid, at least not since i've been claiming it since 2013.
  • kiny333
    Options
    Ah, thank you so much for pointing that out. It's really easy to miss read it as I did. There really should be more clear information about this. Thanks so much once again 😘😘
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    Have you a link to the information on the NHS site? 
  • kiny333
    Options
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Very misleading information there. The other 2 disability premiums are automatically added, if entitled but not the SDP. On the very rare occasion they may send the IS10 form to you to claim it but it's not automatically paid.
    The quickest way to claim it is always by ringing them to ask to fill out the form over the phone. It's a very simple form.
  • kiny333
    Options
    Thanks very much for that poppy123456. I really do appreciate it. Thank you 😘😘
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    kiny333 said:
    The DWP already know my living arrangements ..
    They do not know if you live with any adult relatives which could affect your entitlement to SDP.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • kiny333
    Options
    Thanks a lot for your help Walcott, it's appreciated. I'm a lot clearer about the SDP now thanks to everyone's input. It has been really confusing for me so thanks so much guys. You're awesome! 😘🙌
  • kiny333
    Options
    calcotti, not Walcott. Spell checker! 🙄😆
  • poppy123456
    Options
    kiny333 said:
    calcotti, not Walcott. Spell checker! 🙄😆
    It was funny though 😂
  • kiny333
    Options
  • kiny333
    Options
    Very misleading information there. The other 2 disability premiums are automatically added, if entitled but not the SDP. On the very rare occasion they may send the IS10 form to you to claim it but it's not automatically paid.
    The quickest way to claim it is always by ringing them to ask to fill out the form over the phone. It's a very simple form.
    Hi Poppy.

Just to follow up with the outcome of this.

My ESA was due to be paid today and it didn't go into the bank as normal. I rang the DWP ESA number at 8 am and the reason it hadn't been paid was it had been paused due to my recent daily living PIP award and, therefor my possible eligibility for the SDP.

I have now completed the IS10 form over the phone, my ESA has been paid within an hour of coming of the phone and the SDP should added to my ESA within 2 - 4 weeks and the backdated amount paid to me within 6 -  8 weeks.

Thank you so much again for your help Poppy, I really do appreciate it. 😘😘
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    kiny333 said:

That's not exactly what it says. This is related to the disability premium £36.20 and not the SDP. The disability premium isn't payable when claiming Income Related ESA.

You do not have to claim disability premium. If you’re eligible, it’s automatically added to your:

• Income Support
    • Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
    • Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
    SDP isn't automatically paid because of the criteria involved.

That site, like most Gov ones, is misleading isn't it? It lists sdp under disability premiiums and then says disability premium doesn't need to be claimed it's automatically added. Easy to see why people think severe disability premium would be a disability premium when they've listed it and structed it that way.

I bet it confuses many people!
  • poppy123456
    Options
    @kiny333 glad it's now been applied for. They are usually quite quick in adding the extra to your fortnightly payments. Always happy to help. :)

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.