Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Words or phrases that you don’t like

Options
66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 14,984 Disability Gamechanger
edited May 2022 in Coffee lounge
When I studied maths I used to have a strange dislike of the word “formulae”, the plural of “formula”. I used to say “formulas”. Yes I was a real tearaway at school!!

Same for “stadia” as plural for “stadium”, especially when a footballer says it trying to sound intelligent. Just say “stadiums” please.

Yes I know I’m in the wrong.

What about you? :)

Comments

• 66Mustang
    Options
    Oh and I’d also add most “internet speak” words and phrases!
  • Sue_Alumni
    Sue_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 485 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi, I dont like it when people say math instead of maths .... so annoying 
    Online Community Adviser

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • 66Mustang
    edited May 2022
    Options
    @Sue_Scope hehe, could actually say the same about any Americanism when it comes from the mouth of a British person!!
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I don’t like the over use of the word ‘like’ like it either is something like or it isn’t like something like! Like dyaknowwhatimean?

On a separate note as a poster I’m very irritated by people who don’t use commas or full stops it makes it hard to read quite often it can’t be that difficult to know when to use them surely I’m not being pedantic

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Sue_Alumni
    Options
    Ha ha I agree about the "like" thing.  My son cant say a sentence without using "like".
    I'm sounding so grumpy !
    Online Community Adviser

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    66Mustang said:
    @SueHeath hehe, could actually say the same about any Americanism when it comes from the mouth of a British person!!
    Mustang sshhhhhhhhh it wasn't me who commented it was sue-scope but i wont tell if you don't ha ha ha x
  • Sue_Alumni
    Options
    I hadn't noticed.  That's so funny !
    Online Community Adviser

• 66Mustang
    Options
    @SueHeath oops sorry!!!! I just typed “Sue” and clicked the first name :D:D 
  • 66Mustang
    Options
  • SueHeath
    Options
    66Mustang said:
    Edited now :D
    ahhh you didn't have to Mustang ha ha  :D x
  • leeCal
    Options
    I just remembered a phrase I really don’t like and that’s ‘back in the day’ I know it’s being picky but really it makes no sense. The phrase for me will always be ‘back in the old days.’ 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,495 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
              Calling children 'kids' I hate it  :s
  • 66Mustang
    edited May 2022
    Options
              Calling children 'kids' I hate it  :s
    I remember a teacher telling us the same thing. A “kid” is a baby goat!
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,957 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    leeCal said:
    I don’t like the over use of the word ‘like’ like it either is something like or it isn’t like something like! Like dyaknowwhatimean?

On a separate note as a poster I’m very irritated by people who don’t use commas or full stops it makes it hard to read quite often it can’t be that difficult to know when to use them surely I’m not being pedantic
    Uh oh, I do the 'like' one a lot. I'll try and keep them to a minimum!
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    I hate the expression "Hi guys"  it sets my teeth on edge.
    I'd never considered someone may not like that, particular reason?
  • SueHeath
    Options
    oh dear i think i had better watch my P's and Q's 
    i am terrible at using 
    Back in the Day
    Kids 
    mmm and uhh and well it's like this ha ha 
    Do you also think that is it depends which part of the Country you come from.
    Also some people are better with grammer then other's.
  • Sue_Alumni
    Options
    Its funny all these little things that grate on us.  I must sound really grumpy but I'm not really! What's even worse is I find myself saying the same things that grate when  others say it - which is really hypocritical.  Don't worry my children are very quick to pull me up on that ! ... 
    Online Community Adviser

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    ramping up
    step change
    blue sky thinking
    thinking outside the box
    etc
    So many phrases that have come out of management gobbledegook over the last decade. 
    The use of long words over simple words out of a misguided belief that it somehow makes the writer seem more intelligent (although I admit to be guilty of that myself sometimes).
    Extra words that add nothing to the meaning.
    I could go on (but I wouldn't want to give the impression I live in a state of constant irritation).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • leeCal
    edited June 2022
    Options
    @Sue_Scope I’m also not that much of a pedant either, I’m very flexible...for my age! Ha ha.

in fact thinking about it I’d rather someone just expressed themselves freely than get too hung up on grammar or the use of colloquialisms. 🙂 I’m not that good at grammar, myself.

― Dalai Lama XIV

• Biblioklept
    Options
    calcotti said:

So many phrases that have come out of management gobbledegook over the last decade. 
    The use of long words over simple words out of a misguided belief that it somehow makes the writer seem more intelligent (although I admit to be guilty of that myself sometimes).
    Extra words that add nothing to the meaning.
    I could go on (but I wouldn't want to give the impression I live in a state of constant irritation).
    Hahaha yes to management gobbledegook
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.