Can smoking cause sexual problems? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can smoking cause sexual problems?

Options
DavidFord
DavidFord Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Is it true that smoking can lead to sexual problems and disturbs one's sexual life? And after quitting smoking, how long does it take to resolve this problem?

Comments

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I've seen articles and studies about this being the case because it damages blood vessels and that improvement can be seen between 2-12 weeks after stopping smoking which is good
  • Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
    I`ve never smoked, so I have not experienced the problem you describe.
    I have quite bad tinnitus, for which I was led to believe Ginkgo Biloba would help. I started using Ginkgo, but no improvement in my tinnitus.
    I`ve never had a problem in the erection department, but while I was taking Ginkgo, I was a lot harder.  Gingko improves blood circulation, so it might be worth considering using it.  It`s not cheap though.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Have you spoken to your GP about this at all, if it's something you've been experiencing @DavidFord? They may be best placed to do a physical check, as well as direct you towards resources to help you stop smoking, if that's something you'd be interested in :)
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Jo_2022
    Jo_2022 Community Volunteer Host Posts: 298 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @DavidFord! A warm welcome to you on Scope. Personally I do not have any experience in this area. Maybe asking your GP Doctor for a physical examination would be a good starting point.

Community Volunteer Host with a passion for human rights.

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

• Juliiaa
    Juliiaa Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    Options
    DavidFord said:
    Is it true that smoking can lead to sexual problems and disturbs one's sexual life? And after quitting smoking, how long does it take to resolve this problem?
    It may costs not only problems related with sex but also others. For example, I cannot stand the smell of the cigarettes so my husband need to clean his hands, teeth and wait some time until this smell dissappear
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
  • Phil0110
    Phil0110 Community member Posts: 12 Listener
    Options
    Of course, it can cause problems with erection 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.