If carers don't stay for the allotted time can we claim those charges or refuse to pay for the hour? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

If carers don't stay for the allotted time can we claim those charges or refuse to pay for the hour?

Options
Chrysalis157
Chrysalis157 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited September 2022 in Benefits and financial support
Hi, 

I'm new to the community and hope I can find some answers to a few questions on here if possible please.

My dad is paying carers to come in to care for his bed ridden wife and although they are charging for the full hour, some only stay for 5 minutes.  I've recently found out that the charges are calculate on a 6 minute basis.  Does this then mean that if carers don't stay for the allotted time of a full hour and only stay for 5 minutes, can we then claim those charges or refuse to pay the full hour charge and only pay for the 6 minutes that they stayed?  I know this sounds long winded but if anyone can answer this on a legal basis it would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you
Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,551 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,
    We can't give legal advice because we are not experts here. If it was me then the first thing i'd be doing is speaking to them or the agency if they are employed this way.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • JustPete
    JustPete Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 303 Pioneering
    Options
    @Chrysalis157 I have just employed somebody to work for me; she will be a live-in carer and she will be covering a 48hr shift each fortnight.  She also does domiciliary care - not sure she will continue with that.  We got talking about the people she visits and how different working for me is.

In our conversation she did say how, if a client pays for 30 minutes care and the carer is there for 24minutes then they have fulfilled their contractual agreement and can charge the 30minute amount.

If you are paying for 60minutes and only getting 5/6 minutes then you really must challenge this.  I suggest you document as much as you can and, as @poppy123456 says, challenge the care providers.

Come back for further advice if need be.
    I am a Scope Community Volunteer Adviser with knowledge of "life"!  Lived experience including employing personal assistants, being gay, sport & leisure inclusion & participation, mental health issues.  

What is the bravest thing you've ever said? asked the boy. 'Help,' said the horse.  'Asking for help isn't giving up,' said the horse. 'It's refusing to give up.”
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Depends what they are suposed to do as s former carer if the person I cared for only wanted a drink and it was an hour call and only stayed for the time it took to make a drink  and nothing else was required then the carer can leave  the time is recorded time in time out and what was required

You can report this to the company but if nothing was required in the call then becsuse the carer attended and did what was asked you can also have the time of the call reduced to half an hour  if a full hour is not required 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,700 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Chrysalis157 a belated welcome to scope, my dad had carers before he died just before covid, he was paying £650 a month for 4 carers 30 minutes a visit, he never ever got the full 30 minutes, it's just how it works, the time they are allowed per call also includes travelling time between calls. As above you should take it up with the providers if you haven't already.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your advice with the community @woodbine. Sorry to hear your dad experienced this. It sounds really tough for you and your dad. Sorry for your loss too  <3
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.