Companion enhancement bus pass anyone use this? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Companion enhancement bus pass anyone use this?

Options
feeky1973
feeky1973 Community member Posts: 59 Connected
Hello
I 'm enquiry for a friend.  Her daughter is registered disabled and has had  a disability bus pass for several years. She is now over the age  (12) for which companionship enhancement can be applied for and  parents are about to put in the medical evidence for the application.  As its early days in her life, the parents are hoping that at some stage she might be able to go on the bus herself or with friends supporting her. (Try to be a bit more independent and cope with managing her disability herself) 
So would applying for the companionship enhancement on the pass mean that she can ONLY travel with a companion on the bus or does it mean that on the times she needs a companion one can travel for no charge?  They just dont want to apply for something now that might limit her chances to be a bit more independent in the future.  They think it'll render the daughters current disability pass redundant.   Anyone have any info or experience with this? 
Tagged:

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Just to share my experience @feeky1973, I have a bus pass with the companionship extra added to it, and it means that I can travel on my own or with a companion, but either way the pass entitles myself and the companion to free bus travel. I can use it whether I'm on my own, or with the companion.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • feeky1973
    Options
    Ah I see thank you for sharing :)
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,573 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    In my area if someone has a companion pass they can’t use it to travel alone. The reason I know this is because my daughter has one. 
    They would need to check with their local Authority because they are all different.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • feeky1973
    Options
    @poppy123456 by local authority do you mean the local council or the local bus company itself? thank you :) 
  • Aardvark
    Aardvark Community member Posts: 30 Courageous
    Options
    Hello 

I also have a companion pass.  I can use it on my own or with someone.  I have travelled with friends who have their own passes or weekly tickets and they have used those.   
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,573 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    feeky1973 said:
    @poppy123456 by local authority do you mean the local council or the local bus company itself? thank you :) 
    Local Authority is local Council. In my area if someone has a companion bus pass they can’t use it alone. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.