Does dyslexia and asthma count as a disability? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Does dyslexia and asthma count as a disability?

Options
sammyp7146
sammyp7146 Community member Posts: 22 Listener

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,663 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It would depend on how they affect your life ?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

A disability is a physical or mental impairment or condition that significantly impacts you'd ability to carry out day to day activities. It must be expected to last 12 months or more 

As above everyone is affected differently by their condition so its not just a simple matter of having a certain condition means your disabled 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @sammyp7146 thanks for asking, I think how you choose to define disability can sometimes be a personal thing, so it depends on how you feel.

I would say if you have any long-term condition that affects your health or how you manage things day to day- so that you might feel more limited in what you can do- this is an impairment, or disability.

Do you find your asthma or your dyslexia sometimes make things more difficult for you?
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • sammyp7146
    sammyp7146 Community member Posts: 22 Listener
    Options
    I count them by making my life difficult 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That sounds tough @sammyp7146. Would you like to share more with us about that? We are here for you if you would like to share more with us  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Annajane04
    Annajane04 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    I’m dyslexic as well and my reading a loud isn’t very good either. It’s hold my life back so much and I never did exams  at school. Or Even wanted to do them ! But I did want to become a police officer but this dyslexic thing always holded me back. Thank goodness my children don’t have it to wish I’m glad 😀. I use Alexa to help me spell but she’s not the best either at time lol 😂 
  • tru88le
    tru88le Posts: 201 Courageous
    Options

Yes they are, what could be more disabling than an asthma attack?
    In light of PIP there isnt one single question that can be done during an asthma attack. What can you do when your fighting just to take a single breath.
    Dyslexia is a disability when it comes to communicating, dealing with paperwork or finances, medication instructions, following directions  on pip mobility questions or even understanding the pip questionnaire
  • tru88le
    tru88le Posts: 201 Courageous
    Options
    I dont think anyone is correct here if im alliwed to say that. The fact is dyslexia and asthma ARE disabilities.
    The answets above relate to those conditions in relation to pip but the question was are they disabilities.
    Having asthma I found out at a very early age what its like to fight for a breath and not know if you will live through it.
    I also realised its a condition that is always underestimated by people, i.e tori_scopes question is typical. 
    How can not being able to breathe on a regular basis not make things difficult.. if you ever nearly drowned  thats what asthma is like on dry land or in bed or anywhere, its also like doing something really physical that leaves you gasping for breath but you have to breathe through a very narrow straw and its a fine line of panic fear and iminent doom.
    I used to hallucinate as a kid through lack of oxygen during attacks.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.