Hi, my name is zeitgeist49! What I learnt from working with autistic children — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is zeitgeist49! What I learnt from working with autistic children

zeitgeist49
zeitgeist49 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited June 2022 in Autism and neurodiversity
I worked as a licensed professional in psychiatry for 40 years (1969 - 2009 ).  I specifically worked with autistic children from 1973 to 1977. One observation which amazed me during that time was the frequent mis-diagnosis of autism. And the over - diagnosis seems to have gotten worse in the past few decades. My observation is that autism syndrome incidence truly hasn't changed much in the past 50 years. The following are primary symptoms I observed : repetitive, compulsive behavior with the purpose to engender predictability ; absence of mutual interactions and game playing; severe communication deficits; avoidance of the use of the pronoun "I"; behavioral tantrums were encountered when any type of disapproval was perceived by the autistic child or hearing the word, "No". My clinical experience and therapeutic knowledge of autism confirms that utilizing unconditional acceptance is the most effective approach in treating autistic children. Developing a close, trusting relationship is a primary goal. Clearly, the earlier the commencement of treatment, the more favorable are the therapeutic outcomes. My experience also confirms that medication and behavioral treatments, as primary modes of treatment, have proven to be ineffective for several decades. Utilizing unconditional acceptance, in interacting with the autistic individual, takes a great deal of time, focus, effort and patience. Certainly more so than behavioral methods and medication. This is primarily why this treatment approach is not utilized nearly as often as these quick fix, ineffective approaches. Obviously, using a behavioral treatment strategy is antithetical to unconditional acceptance. A word of caution here : just because some Harvard study or other prestigious university study is published doesn't mean the study provides valid results. Unfortunately, many studies with autism are confounded and fixed to meet the clinician's /scientists expectations. I urge parents of autistic syndrome children to consider exploring this alternative treatment approach and to always ask questions ... rather than always accept the so called "experts" advice on treatment. Also, don't assume your "expert" professional has accurately diagnosed your child.
Tagged:

Comments

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,645 Disability Gamechanger
    I think if anything autism has been underdiagnosed for years with diagnostic criteria based on 8 year old boys of a certain ethnicity and no wider audience. They're also based on someone who is highly dysregulated and struggling. All the traits automatically associated with autism are the 'negatives' which is actually awful.
    I also don't believe autism is something that can be 'treated' and don't think current advice believes it either. It isn't something to be fixed, it's a neurotype. Some things like dysregulation can be managed and supported but you can't 'fix' or change a neurotype. Forcing someone to conform and mask isn't actually changing who they are and how they think. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.