Bills

Biblioklept
Biblioklept Community member Posts: 5,387 Championing
edited June 2022 in Coffee lounge
What are everyone's biggest expenses? 
My rent is ridiculous and then food then council tax. 
After that it's gas and electric then everything else. 

Is everyone else's in the same order? What costs the most in your home?

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 14,985 Championing
    I live at home with my parents so my biggest expense is rent which I give them, but that includes everything 1/3 of the gas/electric/water bill as well as obviously rent for the building.

After that it's petrol.
  • Biblioklept
    If their bills increase does the amount they charge you increase too? 
  • Siwheels73
    Siwheels73 Scope Member Posts: 747 Pioneering
    @Biblioklept, my wife and I are fortunate in that we only pay the bedroom tax and get 100% Council Tax benefit. Councils handle things so differently these days in respect of disability taxes, etc
  • 66Mustang
    Not directly afterwards but we multiply the amount by inflation every year
  • 66Mustang
    That said truth be told if I suddenly lost my PIP or ESA or something they said they would only take what I can afford so I'm in a very fortunate position!!
  • life
    life Community member Posts: 526 Empowering
    UC pay my full rent now. the £200 I used to pay towards that was my biggest expense. Now clothing I'd say which also isn't that much. Oh and takeaways I shouldn't spend the amount I spend on takeaways. I'm in debt because of it 😂😂 just kidding 
  • Biblioklept
    edited June 2022
    I got into that cycle for a while @life. I struggle with cooking and it just was easier to order food delivered but it got to the point I was doing it so often I was dipping into savings and going overdrawn so gave myself a stern talking to. I try and make sure I always have easy food in that I can just grab to help for those days I really can't cook. I think that's why my food bill is so high but it's still cheaper than it used to be with all the takeaways!!!
  • Biblioklept
    66Mustang said:
    Not directly afterwards but we multiply the amount by inflation every year
    that's so smart and a good way to involve you in finances. I don't think I'd even heard of inflation until years after I left home :D I was not prepared to deal with my own finances in the slightest
  • life
    life Community member Posts: 526 Empowering
    @Biblioklept ya definitely hard to get out of that cycle.i was worse when I lived with my parents. I honestly forgot about my online food shopping which is about 100 a month if not more. 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,611 Championing
    over the course of a month, rent is the highest for us, followed by supermarket shop, energy bills and council tax. 

I do enjoy trying to find simple savings, like cutting back on a subscription service we no longer use as much or altering my phone contract according to need. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 60,584 Championing
    Fuel for my car was my biggest expense. Changed my car in April and now i'm saving a fortune on that. Energy is now my biggest expense, with food and other shopping second. My council tax is very little each month and i don't pay anything towards my rent as i claim full housing benefit.
    I live with my daughter and she pays her keep to me, which is half of all the bills, except fuel for the car which i pay for.
  • Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,107 Trailblazing
    For me, my highest "bill" is the money I give my ex-wife (she`s disabled too, so can`t work).  To put it in order:
    Money for ex-wife (half my salary)
    Groceries
    Car
    Elastic trickery
    Gas