Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Bi Polar Disorder Discussion

Options
hannahsb89
hannahsb89 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
Hi all. I am from the Staffordshire area and I have recently been diagnosed witb Bi Polar Disorder. I have always struggled making and maintaining friendships and Im hoping this site will change it  

Comments

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,948 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I've found it so friendly so far so hope you will too. <3 Have you always lived in Staffordshire, what's it like there?
  • hannahsb89
    Options
    Hey sweet. I'm from Manchester originally. Staffordshire is stunning. Its surrounded in beautiful nature and every turn there is a forest. It's beautiful. Where are you from hun? 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,508 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @hannahsb89 :) It's nice to meet you!

Thank you for sharing a bit of information about yourself. I'm not sure I've been to Staffordshire before, but the way you've described it makes it sound lovely. Do you like being around nature? 

Though getting a new diagnosis can be a relief, it can also bring about some worries and mixed feelings. How do you feel about getting your recent bipolar disorder diagnosis? Are you receiving enough support to help you manage your symptoms?

We're a friendly bunch, so I hope that you'll be able to chat to some like minded people and form new connections. Do you have any particular hobbies or interests? 

National Campaigns Officer at Scope, she/her

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 14,952 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Nice to meet you @hannahsb89. :) I hope you like this website. I have found it friendly as well.

I agree that Staffordshire sounds nice from what you describe. It sounds like my kind of place actually.

Would you like to tell us some more things about yourself, like your interests?
  • hannahsb89
    Options
    Welcome to the community @hannahsb89 :) It's nice to meet you!

Thank you for sharing a bit of information about yourself. I'm not sure I've been to Staffordshire before, but the way you've described it makes it sound lovely. Do you like being around nature? 

Though getting a new diagnosis can be a relief, it can also bring about some worries and mixed feelings. How do you feel about getting your recent bipolar disorder diagnosis? Are you receiving enough support to help you manage your symptoms?

We're a friendly bunch, so I hope that you'll be able to chat to some like minded people and form new connections. Do you have any particular hobbies or interests? 

Hi what a lovely reply. Thank you. Honestly I am ideally looking for friends to have coffee meets or cinema trips with as I don't know anyone really, especially since my diagnoses I've not made any friends and I'm only now confident enough enough get myself out there again. My partner is very supportive and I have 2 children who are simply blessings. I love to read, write poetry, sing and see family.

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,508 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    No problem @hannahsb89 :) 

Have you tried looking on Meetup at all? There are lots of groups and events on there, and I've seen quite a few in my area based around chatting over coffee, or going to see films in the cinema. It can be a bit scary at first, but I've been to some events before and everyone was really friendly. 

If you find one on one meet-ups easier, you could also try using something like Bumble BFF. It's like a dating app, but for friends. I downloaded it briefly at one point to check it out, and there were lots of people looking to meet others who wanted to go out and watch films, go for drinks, go on trips, and so on. 

You've also mentioned that you enjoy singing, so I was wondering whether you'd consider joining a choir? I'm a terrible singer :D but I can imagine that's a good way to meet likeminded people. Virtual choirs are also a thing, if you'd find that more accessible. The Sofa Singers are one example. 

As you like to read, perhaps you could see if there are any book clubs in your area? We also have many members on the community who enjoy reading, and one of our volunteers even mentioned starting a virtual community book club

Are there any parent groups in your area that you could look at joining? 

National Campaigns Officer at Scope, she/her

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.