Finally awarded pip — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Finally awarded pip

Options
carcari
carcari Community member Posts: 63 Courageous
Hi all. So after a very long 28 weeks waiting for my son's decision he has been awarded enhanced rate for both :) his award notice says he wont get his first payment until 22nd july. He was on dla and has transferred to pip. They say that the first payment is what they owe him but what about this month's dla will that not be played to him as iv also noticed they would owe him an extra week. Any help would be greatful 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,275 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You will receive 1 final payment for DLA and then it will stop. Then PIP will start with first payment on the date stated. It will then continue to be paid 4 weekly.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    28 weeks seems ages for decision that's more than 6 months!! Glad the wait is over and you can relax <3
  • carcari
    Options
    Ok will this be 28 days after the decision or the following week when his dla claim ends. It's so confusing @poppy123456
  • carcari
    Options
    It was a very long wait and really stressful but so glad it's over with now @Biblioklept
  • poppy123456
    Options
    carcari said:
    Ok will this be 28 days after the decision or the following week when his dla claim ends. It's so confusing @poppy123456

It will depend on when his last DLA payment was. You can also ring DLA and they will tell you when his final payment is and how much it will be.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • carcari
    Options
    Ok thanks @poppy123456 his last payment was 24th may. I'll give them a call monday to see what they say. Thank you for all the help and information this forum has been really helpful
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Based on that then i would expect the DLA payment to be about 21st June.
  • carcari
    Options
    That's Brill thank you 
  • Sue_Alumni
    Sue_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 486 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @carcari
    Unfortunately, I think the DWP is correct.  I'm assuming that the PIP decision date is shortly after your son's DLA payment date ie 24 May 2022.  If this the case your son's entitlement to DLA ends 4 weeks after the next DLA pay day.  The next ( and final ) DLA pay day is 21 June 2022, as @poppy123456 has said, and the DLA will stop on 21 July 2022 with PIP starting on 22 July 2022. Unfortunately this is the case even though the PIP award has resulted in an increase in your son's entitlement. 

Online Community Adviser

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Sue_Scope said:
    the DLA will stop on 21 July 2022 with PIP starting on 22 July 2022. Unfortunately this is the case even though the PIP award has resulted in an increase in your son's entitlement. 

I don’t think that’s correct. DLA would stop a few weeks before the PIP starts because PIP is paid 4 weeks in arrears. The decision letter will tell them what date the PIP starts, which would be the day after DLA ends. 

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sue_Scope said:
    .. the DLA will stop on 21 July 2022 with PIP starting on 22 July 2022.
    If OP has been told they will be paid PIP on 22nd July it means that the PIP will start on 24th June because PIP is paid 4 weeks in arrears.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Sue_Alumni
    Options
    Hi @poppy123456

I referred to this but I agree it seems very unfair

Date of award – If you get a decision to award PIP, entitlement to DLA ends four weeks after the next DLA pay day and the PIP award will begin on the following day. So if the decision is just after your pay day, the PIP award may not start for almost eight weeks. Unfortunately, this will be the case even if the PIP award has resulted in an increase in your entitlement (unless you asked for your claim to be re-assessed under the special rules for terminal illness 

https://askcpag.org.uk/?id=-241195# 
    Online Community Adviser

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Sue_Scope said:
    Hi @poppy123456

I referred to this but I agree it seems very unfair

Date of award – If you get a decision to award PIP, entitlement to DLA ends four weeks after the next DLA pay day and the PIP award will begin on the following day. So if the decision is just after your pay day, the PIP award may not start for almost eight weeks. Unfortunately, this will be the case even if the PIP award has resulted in an increase in your entitlement (unless you asked for your claim to be re-assessed under the special rules for terminal illness 

https://askcpag.org.uk/?id=-241195# 
    Indeed but the first PIP payment has already been advised as 22nd July. This means PIP can’t possibly start from 21st July because that wouldn’t make sense. PIP is paid in arrears not in advance. 
  • carcari
    Options
    Well I'm sorry but your all wrong as his award letter states that his pip will start on 29th June his dla ends on the 28th june. His original payday for pip should be the 21st june.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2022
    Options
    carcari said:
    Well I'm sorry but your all wrong as his award letter states that his pip will start on 29th June his dla ends on the 28th june. 
    The first PIP payment on 26th July may include a part week which that can happen if the PIP will be paid on a different day of the week to DLA. That would throw the calculation out.
    Nor sure what you mean by this:
    carcari said:
    His original payday for pip should be the 21st june.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    edited June 2022
    Options
    carcari said:
    Well I'm sorry but your all wrong as his award letter states that his pip will start on 29th June his dla ends on the 28th june. His original payday for pip should be the 21st june.
    What I said is his DLA couldn’t possibly end on 21st July because his first payment for PIP is 22nd July.
    No is payday for PIP shouldn’t be 21st June because the DLA doesn’t end until 28th June. 
    First payment for PIP being 22nd July is correct. This is not what they owe him because no money is owed. This will be payment from 29th June to 22 July, which will be for 3 weeks money, not the full 4 weeks. Future payments will be for the full 4 weeks.
    The final payment of DLA should be 21st June. 
  • Sue_Alumni
    Options
    Hi 
    Yes the date of the PIP award  dovetails with the final payment date of the DLA - but payment ie the actual award of PIP isn't until 22 July.    I think we're all agreed.   
    Online Community Adviser

• Sue_Alumni
    Options
    Sorry I see my post has been overtaken by the OP's comments 
    Online Community Adviser

• carcari
    Options
    Thank you @poppy123456 that sounds about right to me his first pip payments is the 3 weeks they owe as it is less then his award. I will call them on monday to find out. If that missing week will be paid to him on the 21 june or the week after thanks again for the help
  • poppy123456
    Options
    It would be DLA you need to ring, not PIP. Something tells me that DLA is paid 3 weeks in arrears and 1 week in advance. PIP is paid 4 weeks in arrears. So the payment from DLA on 21st June will be the last payment, which should be his usual amount. This would mean there's no missing week because of the 1 week in advance.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.