Please sign this petition — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Please sign this petition

Options
hazzzzab
hazzzzab Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited June 2022 in Start here and say hello!
Hi, my name is Harriet [Removed by moderator - surname] and it's been eight years since I was hit by drunk driver travelling at 101mph while standing at a bus stop in Birmingham. Upon waking from a coma, I learned my friend Rebecca had died at the scene, and that I would require a wheelchair for life.

Driving drunk at that speed was a choice, not an accident, and yet these events are still referred to as accidents.

Something needs to be done to deter dangerous driving. I believe changing the language we use to refer to crashes is an important first step. 

Please sign and share this petition to amend laws to refer to "collision" instead of "accident.” https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/608904.

Thank you. 

Comments

• Brenda1946
    Brenda1946 Scope Member Posts: 58 Courageous
    Options
    I have signed the partition.
  • Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
    I`m sorry to hear about the loss of your friend and the way a reckless and selfish action has impacted you for life.
    The dictionary definition of accident is what happened to you and your friend:
    "An unfortunate incident that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally, typically resulting in damage or injury."
    In no way am I condoning the actions of the driver, but what happened was an accident regardless of the conscious decision made by the driver to get behind the wheel when under the influence of alcohol.
    I wholeheartedly agree with you that something needs to be done about dangerous driving, but changing the meaning of a word won`t achieve that.
    Andy
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,631 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm afraid I have to agree with Andy, I'm sorry to hear about your accident/collision and the consequences but I'm not a great believer in petitions, sorry.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I have signed 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My partners 4 year old neice was what they called a traffic accident 4 days ago she was on a balance bike which has  no pedals or brakes she was rolling down the hill and couldn't stop and went off the pavement  into the road and hit by a car comeing across the junction on the opposite side of the  road I would call that a collision I think there should be different words for different types of accident 
  • wendy41
    wendy41 Community member Posts: 227 Pioneering
    Options
    Signed. So sorry to hear what has happened with you. I wish you every success with this petition. 
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm so sorry to read what happened to you and the loss of your friend @hazzzzab <3 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.