Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Hi, my name is Luckylady2022! Can I request a video assessment?

Options
Luckylady2022
Luckylady2022 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited June 2022 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Good morning peeps 
I should have gone to my  face to face assessment today but my anxiety and stress caused me to have heart palpitations so bad I had to use my gtn spray and an ambulance was called as my friend thought that me as having another heart attack ( I have already had 4 ) it turns out it was an angina attack brought on by the stress of this appointment they now want me to go to another one on the 29th I'm already in tears when panicking about this and medics have told me if I don't calm down I will end up in hospital with another heart attack I have other medical issue's such as osteoporosis, servers sleep apneoa, raynards in fingers and toes, anxiety & depression nerve damage, long civic  etc my Dr told me to apply for pip and yes it would benefit me greatly but I just can't handle the fear of attending or having someone I don't know in my home can I request a video call instead of not then I think I will end my claim I'm in tears as I write this I'm so stressed about it all any help and advice would truly mean the world to me 
Thanks everyone x

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Luckylady2022

Wishing you a warm welcome to the community, it's nice to see you join us. Sorry to hear about what you have been through lately due to the anticipation of the assessment. 

It is true that the anticipation of it often is worse than the assessment itself, I remember feeling quite a lot of anxiety compared to usual before assessments I've had in the past, only to get through the process fairly smoothly on the whole.

You could get in touch with them and explain your concerns about attending in person, and they might be able to switch it to a telephone or video assessment for you. Alternatively, wherever the assessment takes place you could have a loved one alongside you if that would help to ease your anxiety a bit. 

In regards to your mental health and well-being, it appears as though you've had quite a serious reaction to the prospect of the assessment, how are you at the moment? Do you have any techniques that you can use to relax yourself in moments like this?

If you do feel as though you need more support to manage your mental health, it might be worth speaking with your GP to see if they can help you at all.

This is a very supportive and welcoming site to be a part of so I’m hopeful that you’ll find it to be a positive outlet. Feel free to have a look around and get involved wherever you’d like 😊 I have included below a few of the pages I’d recommend having a look through to get used to things:

• The virtual coffee lounge which is one of our categories, in which we play games and talk about general subjects such as hobbies and interests
    • The recent discussions page, which shows an overview of everything happening across the community
    • The categories page, which shows a full list of discussion groups on the community

If you have any questions at all then don’t hesitate to ask.

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Luckylady2022
    Luckylady2022 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thankyou so much for your reply I'm just a bag at nerves atm I don't go out much now except for appointments so I'm quite anxious of any appointment but this face to face has really got to me I know I won't be able to make it and if I did I would be a gibbering wreck or have serious palpitations through stress so they would prob need to call me an ambulance same with a face to face at my home I have the same dread my heart is racing now just thinking about all this if I carry on like this I won't be able to go as I will be on the cardiac wars in hospital again I'm just thinking is all this really worth it my Dr and cardio team say yes but I'm unsure now x
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Luckylady2022

Thanks for your reply, and I completely understand. It might be worth at least calling about getting a video or telephone assessment, and hopefully those formats would be easier for you.

You might find it helpful to seek some professional advice with your claim, if you feel as though it would benefit you to have somebody supporting you through it. You could go through Advice Local or CAB to find some support :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.