If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Shiningsun!

Shiningsun Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited June 2022 in Start here and say hello!
Hello- I came across your site whilst looking for some benefit advice. My health condition has deteriorated since having Covid 19 in January & I’m struggling to manage - so I’m thinking I will need to pay someone to help. 


  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Shiningsun and welcome to the forum, thanks for joining and for your query.

    I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling to manage at the moment, it's frustrating to come to terms with, but you've done a good thing by asking for advice.

    Can you tell me if you've looked into a needs assessment referral at all? You can self refer for a needs assessment which can help determine the level and type of support you need day to day.

    If you are wanting to find out about employing your own personal assistant or carer, Scope has some guidance you can read. 

    Do you feel like you're getting enough support from your GP for your health conditions at the moment?

    Please let us know if there's anything we've missed, and we'll do what we can to help out :)

    Online Community Coordinator

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Shiningsun
    Shiningsun Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you for your response. I haven’t looked at a Needs Assessment- I will think about it though thanks. 
    I was wondering specifically- I get ESA & Industrial injuries disablement. Since having Covid I am struggling to do any housework & look after myself & mobilise. My son has moved back in to help look after me but I’m worried his earnings will affect my benefits. He buys all the food but doesn’t pay rent or anything. 
    Thank you. 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2022
    Thanks for your response @Shiningsun. How are you feeling at the moment about the thought of looking at a needs assessment? We are here for you if you want to share more with us.

    Unfortunately, benefits are not my area of expertise. Hopefully, someone else with more knowledge in this area will be able to respond to you soon.

    In the meantime, I just wanted to respond to let you know we hear you and are here for you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

    Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Sue_Alumni
    Sue_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 486 Pioneering
    Hi @Shiningsun
     Can you help me understand what benefits are  you are getting at the moment.  Are you getting contribution based ESA. or income related ESA ?  Are you getting PIP ? Do you get housing benefit ?  
    Sorry ! lots of questions.  
    Online Community Adviser

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.