If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Sdp elemental protection

Options
common1709
common1709 Community member Posts: 12 Listener
edited June 2022 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi I was just wondering if anybody could give me some advice , in a nutshell my claim for ESA ended due to a change of circumstances and I was forced to claim u.c alongside my pip  , there was a 28 day period before I claimed u.c should I still be entitled to elemental protection as it states on the government guidlines that it must of been in the month immediately preceding the date of my eligibility to uc , is a month 28 days or 31 days I'm confused 
Tagged:

Comments

• common1709
    Options
    Also the same period I had to reclaim pip after the changes circumstance satisfied pip and theres states clearly 28 days not a month
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @common1709

Welcome to the community, I hope you are well this morning :) 

Thank you for posting your query, I have moved it over to the UC page :) 

I would assume that when it says a month it means a calendar month, so for example from June 1 to July 1. If it meant 28 days / 4 weeks I'm sure it would specify that. I can appreciate though that it could cause confusion. 

This is a very supportive and welcoming site to be a part of so I’m hopeful that you’ll find it to be a positive outlet. Feel free to have a look around and get involved wherever you’d like 😊 I have included below a few of the pages I’d recommend having a look through to get used to things:

• The virtual coffee lounge which is one of our categories, in which we play games and talk about general subjects such as hobbies and interests
    • The recent discussions page, which shows an overview of everything happening across the community
    • The categories page, which shows a full list of discussion groups on the community

If you have any questions at all then don’t hesitate to ask.

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,707 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I thought it had to be that you were getting SDP in the day before your claim for UC? 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2022
    Options
    If you are claiming within a calendar month (which I think can therefore be 28 days, 30 days or 31 days depending on the mont in question) you should get the SDP transitional protection included.
    However you will have lost your ESA Support Group Status and will have to have a new WCA. If you are found to have LCWRA when the LCWRA element is added that will end the SDP element.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Biblioklept
    edited June 2022
    Options
    That's really sad so it's the LCWRA that has to be the day before claim not the SDP @calcotti? Have I understood that ?
  • calcotti
    edited June 2022
    Options
    That's really sad so it's the LCWRA that has to be the day before claim not the SDP @calcotti? Have I understood that ?
    Two separate issues. For the SDP transitional protection claimant has to be in receipt within the prior month (and still eligible). For the ESA Support Group to carry over as LCWRA the ESA must be in payment at the time of the UC claim.
    In my opinion there should be a similar one month rule for the LCWRA which would avoid problems for many (particularly those becoming mixed age couples. By comparison ESA has a 12 week linking rule.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    I agree @calcotti! Thank you for taking time to explain it to me. <3
  • common1709
    Options
    @calcotti thanks for the reply , yeah so basically I made a claim for u.c 28 days after my claim for ESA was closed due to change of circumstances  my entitlement ended on the 10th April  and my u.c claim began on 11th march
  • calcotti
    Options
    So, as described above, you should get the SDP protection but have lost the Support Group status. After you have had a new WCA, if you are found to have a LCWRA, when the LCWRA element is added you will lose the SDP element.
  • common1709
    Options
    @calcotti thanks so much for the reply the guys at the dwp are so unclear about what's going on its unbelievable, as far as I'm aware as it stands my claim started on the 12th march 2021 ,but this no being looked at by decision makers as there was really no reason for it not to be backdated to 11th march this was when I was entitled to claim u.c , it was a telephone claim and the claim handler who filled out my form for me diddnt put the backdate request through , I understand this is upto the d.m but if it is backdated one day so my claim would begin on the 11 th  do you think I should receive sdp protection then 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,129 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If you rang to start your claim on 12th March, Why didn't you claim on 11th March? UC can only be backdated in the most extreme cases, for example if someone is in hospital.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • common1709
    Options
    @poppy123456 I was embarrassed to say this but seems as you asked , I was on remand in prison until the 11th of march , I was then released on bail and the case was later dismissed as I was innocent , I was unable to make the call on the first day of my release as allthough I had been told I was free , I had to wait until all the paperwork had been documented ,if I was in hospital myself or somebody else could call on my behalf I wasn't able to call as I was still inside a prison until after 6pm on the 11th , I'm pretty sure this would all be kept on record still 🤔
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    I don't know exactly what but I feel like I've seen there be special rules for prisoners or those on remand but I don't know if it will help in this case. :( 
  • calcotti
    edited June 2022
    Options
    I don't think you are eligible fo UC for the period you were on remand. Backdating will therefore not be relevant. There is a rule that says you can get the housing element paid while on remand if you were getting it prior to being remanded but that doesn't apply to you.
  • common1709
    Options
    @calcotti yes I understand that I'm not entitled to anything for the time spent on Remand ,but as I was released on the 28th day and my claim will now show that ,will I be then entitled to sdp protection 
  • calcotti
    edited June 2022
    Options
    @calcotti yes I understand that I'm not entitled to anything for the time spent on Remand ,but as I was released on the 28th day and my claim will now show that ,will I be then entitled to sdp protection 
    You have put slightly different dates in.
    What was your last day of ESA entitlement?
    What date did you claim UC on?
  • common1709
    Options
    @calcotti my entitlement for ESA ended on the 10th of February and my claim for u.c began on 12th march,there looking to backdate it to the 11th of march will this make any difference ,thankyou for the replys 
  • calcotti
    Options
    @calcotti my entitlement for ESA ended on the 10th of February and my claim for u.c began on 12th march,there looking to backdate it to the 11th of march will this make any difference ,thankyou for the replys 
    I don't think so, 10th February to 11th March is ore than one month.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.