Shopping with mobility issues - queues and seating — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Shopping with mobility issues - queues and seating

Options
johnadams1234
johnadams1234 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
Hi, 

I have mobility issues which means that I use a mix of mobility scooters, wheelchairs and also I can walk short distances with a walking stick. I try to remain as mobile as I can and only use the chair or scooter when I really am having a bad day.

I've been in situations where I've been with just my stick and I can't stand for long periods, as it causes me pain and discomfort. 

I sometimes experience long queues in supermarkets and queues and it's really horrible to have to experience my symptoms flare up waiting in a queue, it's distressing. 

I very rarely speak up, as I feel awkward asking to jump the queue. If my wife is with me she does the queuing whilst I sit down. 

Has anyone else experienced this and what action have you taken? 

As an additional question, there are a lot of shops that have no seating at all for disabled people, which is awful, I often have to find places life shelving to perch on and sometimes get asked not to sit at those places. 

Appreciate the obvious answer is to always use my chair or scooter when shopping, but I want to maximise being mobile as much as possible to stop my general condition getting worse. 

Thoughts appreciated, 

John

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

You could use a rollater walker they have a little seat on that you can perch on if tired 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @johnadams1234 and thanks for sharing your experience, I can relate, it's especially frustrating when your body flares up out of nowhere, you can feel quite powerless.

Janer has made an excellent suggestion, a walker would help you keep moving, but also give you the option to sit when you need to. Some of them also have storage baskets, which are handy when shopping. 

I do find unless you're in a very large supermarket, seating is pretty much non exsistent, and even in those larger shops, it tends to be on the periphery, the other side of the tills from all the products.

Let us know if there's anything else that comes up in the meantime. 
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • johnadams1234
    johnadams1234 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Options
    That's a good call actually, thanks for that suggestion. 
  • Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
    I`m nowhere as challenged as you are, or indeed as most people appear to be on this site, but your opening comment struck a chord with me.
    I have lumbar & cervical spondylosis and recently diagnosed (last 6 weeks or so) with lumbar stenosis.
    I live on my own and have my shopping delivered on a Friday, but now and again I like to join the human race so I go to the local Tesco.  Even if I just buy a bag of crisp, I use a trolley so that when the vice like grip around my back starts and the nerves down my legs are screaming at me, I can lean forward on the trolley - a bit like a supermarket zimmer frame :D It`s not perfect, it doesn`t stop the pain, but it does provide momentary easing of the symptoms. 
    As I said, I`m not as challenged as most people on here so I`ve never really considered the ins and outs of being disabled (I just get on with with my awards from Mother Nature).  But your comments, and those of other contributors on Scope, have turned an ignorant (for want of an expression) person into someone with a better understanding of how your challenges (I`m not a fan of the word disabilities) affect everyday aspects of your life.  Thank you.
    Andy

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.