Random phone call — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Random phone call

Options
Middleton
Middleton Community member Posts: 133 Courageous
Hi
Just thought i'd ask if this seems a normal procedure.

I had a missed call this morning(private no) and then around 3pm again, i answered and it was PIP dwp!. 
I had no notification of such a call so was completely unexpected. Genuinely wasnt feeling great so had to do everything i could to concentrate.

Once i got my bearings, she asked me if i had begun my Morphine meds. This was her first question. I explained that the nhs are trying to not go this route and that they chose to place me on Robaxin 750 Methacarbamol. Along with all my other meds.

And she asked if this had helped me, so i explained it allows small pockets of relief, say a few hrs here and there,but not total. Maybe takes symptoms down from 90% usual down to 75% for a shirt time. As i wasnt expecting the call, this is the best answer i could give without having more thought on the matter.

She then asked, how i manage when i do go out.(Autism) She did candidly state before asking this that she knows i have so many co morbid physical issues, that she want to focus on the Autism aspect, of going out in public.
I was having an issue at the time of explaining my symptoms, but she felt i had gotten it across to her fine.

I just spoke honestly, but due to my cognitive and sensory issues, and not always having the right words at times, i am now second guessing myself.
There so much nuance, as youll all know to a simple Question and the symptoms cant be answered in a soundbite, but they have all my paperworks so, no problems there if they want to delve much deeper.. 
She ended conversation, stating she will now pass my paperwork onto ?? (sorry, ive totally forgotten who she said now).  

Just to clarify, her response to me was from my Award Review that i sent in around Feb 2022. I sent so much info , as if it was like my first application.. She did mention the amount i sent in, but did agree its best to send more than less.

So, does the above seem a normal procedure for PIP to call this way?  im partly asking as i need outside help with forms etc...so wondering what to do now..She said the next department(not her actual words, but i forgot who she said shes passing my info onto) will get back to me at some point.

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Are you clear whether the call was from DWP themselves or from the health assessor advising the DWP.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That's so bad if it was an assessment without warning! 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

It may not have been an actual assessment. Sometimes they ring at random to ask a few questions and to see if they can complete a paper based assessment.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    I never answer my phone and just leave for answerphone if they did that for me they'd never reach me :D 

• calcotti
    Options
    poppy123456 said: It may not have been an actual assessment. Sometimes they ring at random to ask a few questions and to see if they can complete a paper based assessment. 
    That was my thought which is why I asked Op if they were clear whether to was an assessor rather than the DWP themselves.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    I learn so much from you two, thank you!
  • Middleton
    Options
    calcotti said:
    Are you clear whether the call was from DWP themselves or from the health assessor advising the DWP.
    The stated DWP
  • calcotti
    Options
    Middleton said:
    calcotti said:
    The stated DWP
    I know that is what they stated but i was asking whether they were sure it was indeed DWP themselves.
  • Middleton
    Options

It may not have been an actual assessment. Sometimes they ring at random to ask a few questions and to see if they can complete a paper based assessment.
    I got confirmation today that it was the actual assessment..And i will have a decision in the next 6 weeks. I had no notification of this impromptu interview and it only lasted 10mins??  this doesnt seem quite right to me 
  • Middleton
    edited June 2022
    Options
    calcotti said:
    Middleton said:
    calcotti said:
    The stated DWP
    I know that is what they stated but i was asking whether they were sure it was indeed DWP themselves.
    Text received today states "About your pip review.The health professional has sent us their report. We will make a decision on your pip,but it may take 6 weeks before you hear from  us"   end quote. 

I wasnt told it was a paper report and they simply needed to just ask a few questions.  I was only asked 2 quick questions , the entire call took 10mins. 
  • Middleton
    Options
    calcotti said:
    Middleton said:
    calcotti said:
    The stated DWP
    Text received today states "About your pip review.The health professional has sent us their report. We will make a decision on your pip,but it may take 6 weeks before you hear from  us"   end quote. 

I wasnt told it was a report interview and wasnt given no notification of receiving a call.. I missed the first call because i was in bed(private no) and picked up call several hrs later..This doesnt seem normal at all.. I was only asked 2 quick questions and the entire call took 10mins. 
  • Middleton
    Options
    Update:

Spoke to Capita, who informed me it was Atos that had done the interview.

So spoke to Atos and the nice lady explained that it was actually a paper assessment due to all the paperwork that was sent in, plus she informed me that Guys hospital had been contacted and with all the weight of the obvious evidence they have decided already. She said she couldnt actually tell me the result, but covertly mentioned that i had nothing to worry about.!  

Obviously i will only fully know ,when i receive the paperwork. But incredibly one day after a 10 mins phone call, i have a decision. Which by suggestion, appears to be favourable.

Does this seem the usual procedure? im purely guessing theyre trying to get through the backlog and have a new criteria ...i have no clue to be honest! 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It is rare bit does happen I had paper based on lyrics past review with jist a quick call like yourself 

What doesn't make sense is they have said they kade a decision as its not down to them to make a decision they only make recommendations it's the dwp decision maker that makes the decision 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Middleton said:
    She said she couldnt actually tell me the result, but covertly mentioned that i had nothing to worry about.!  

They couldn't tell you because they don't make decisions. Only a decision maker from DWP can do that. The person you spoke to shouldn't have said anything to you because it's not their job to do that.
    Middleton said:
    Obviously i will only fully know ,when i receive the paperwork. But incredibly one day after a 10 mins phone call, i have a decision. Which by suggestion, appears to be favourable.
    You haven't had the decision yet. Once the report is returned to DWP it will be put into a pile and a decison maker will eventually look at the report as well as all other evidence you sent. They will then make their decision. Once a decision's been made you will be sent the decision letter. This can take anywhere up to 12 weeks, sometimes longer.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • calcotti
    Options
    So exactly as poppy and I thought might be the case - a quick call (rather than a formal appointment) to establish whether assessor could complete a paper based assessment.
  • Middleton
    Options
    janer1967 said:
    It is rare bit does happen I had paper based on lyrics past review with jist a quick call like yourself 

What doesn't make sense is they have said they kade a decision as its not down to them to make a decision they only make recommendations it's the dwp decision maker that makes the decision 

Update:

Spoke to Capita, who informed me it was Atos that had done the interview.

So spoke to Atos and the nice lady explained that it was actually a paper assessment due to all the paperwork that was sent in, plus she informed me that Guys hospital had been contacted and with all the weight of the obvious evidence they have decided already. She said she couldnt actually tell me the result, but covertly mentioned that i had nothing to worry about.!  

Does this seem the usual procedure? im purely guessing theyre trying to get through the backlog and have a new criteria ...i have no clue to be honest! 
  • Middleton
    Options
    janer1967 said:

Just to update... I spoke to atos and the lady there said they knew the outcome and hinted what it was.  Believe me when i tell you, ive had some very peculiar phone calls this past week... So basically Wed the random call that asked me 2 questions..No idea i was going to receive this call..  I then call dwp today and whilst speaking to them, my phone pings with a text and the lady at dwp confirmed that she could see that the assessors have the paperwork and it could take 6 weeks before i know results.

I then called capita, but it turned out it was atos that called me on the wed. To find out why i wasnt informed of the process, and the lady at atos clarified the call was a quick one as its gone to paper assessment.. but pretty much verbatim,she stated that she knew the results and hinted them.  I know it may appear ive got this somehow mixed up, but this is literally whats been told to me.

I had no idea that atos would know the results.. 
  • Middleton
    Options
    janer1967 said:

ps. If DWP make the decisions(as ive always thought) then i assume what the Atos lady was hinting to me, is the suggestions made by the assessor...But of course, the final decision is totally with DWP.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    They couldn't have known the outcome because no decision will have been made that quick.
  • Middleton
    Options
    They couldn't have known the outcome because no decision will have been made that quick.
    I think the comment from the lady at Atos ,was maybe from the notes they have sent to dwp aka the report., in all honesty , i havent a clue. Her comment was just so unusual, so im assuming she may have seen the suggestion from the assessor?  Do Assessors give suggestions on their reports to DWP on whether an applicant should get 
     standard or Enhanced?

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.