Elderly parent moving in and affect on my benefits. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Elderly parent moving in and affect on my benefits.

Options
kelloggs
kelloggs Community member Posts: 19 Listener
Hi,
my father who has dementia might be coming to live with my husband and I.
My husband receives IR ESA support group and enhanced pip on both care/mobility.
I receive CBESA support group and full pip. Will my father moving in impact any of these benefits? I have been told to apply for AA for him due to his Alzheimer’s.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If your husband currently gets the Severe Disability Premium in his ESA he will lose that when your father comes to live with you because he (your father) is not getting a disability benefit. If he is awarded AA then your husband will be able to get the SDP reinstated. What benefits (if any) does your father receive?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • kelloggs
    Options
    Thank you,
    My father is retired and on state pension only. So in order for my husband to retain his SDP my father needs to be awarded AA then? 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,368 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    kelloggs said:
    So in order for my husband to retain his SDP my father needs to be awarded AA then? 

That's correct.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • kelloggs
    Options
    Thanks again. Would this also be the same for council tax reduction? I know each council is responsible for their own rules, so would it best to contact them directly?
  • calcotti
    edited June 2022
    Options
    For the Council Tax Reduction you should let your council know. It may not have any impact but, as you say, each council can vary the rules.

Note, if your father gets AA he may be entitled to Pension Credit to top up his State Pension because the PC calculation for him would then include a SDP. How much is his State Pension?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • kelloggs
    Options
    I don’t think he claim PC because he has savings.
  • calcotti
    Options
    kelloggs said:
    I don’t think he claim PC because he has savings.
    Savings below £10,000 would not affect Pension credit. Over £10,000 there will be reduced PC entitlement, whether or not PC is applicable would depend on the size of his State Pension and the amount of savings.
  • kelloggs
    Options
    Thanks ever so much for all your help, it’s really appreciated.
    👍
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Glad to hear you feel we helped you @kelloggs. It is the very least you deserve. We are here for you and appreciate your positive feedback. Please don't hesitate to let us know if you need our support with anything else  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • kelloggs
    Options
    That’s very kind, Thanks 👍
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You are welcome @kelloggs. Kindness is the very least you deserve  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • kelloggs
    Options
    Hi, I have further question in relation to the above if I may?
    if my dad moves in with my husband and and I, will that be considered a ‘change of circumstances’ by DWP?
    my husband receives IRESA and I get CBESA. We are both on high rate pip and in the process of claiming AA for my dad who has Alzheimer’s. I should say that hubby and I are on legacy benefits, so would my dad moving in mean we’re forced to claim UC? If so, will we lose the SDP when forced to claim UC?
    thanks in advance.

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    No it won't be a change of circumstances that would force you to claim UC, but you would lose your SDP unless your dad gets AA so you'd need to update DWP <3 

• kelloggs
    Options
    Once again, thanks for your invaluable information. I’m hoping dad gets his AA, and then I will just advise DWP when he’s ready to move in. This could all be in vain as he might move in with my sister anyway who works, so it has no bearing. However, it’s best to be prepared and I appreciate your help. ❤️
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I hope everything works out @kellogs it's so lovely both you and your sister are willing to take your dad in. He's very lucky <3
  • kelloggs
    Options
    We wouldn’t have it any other way, but thank you. ❤️
  • L_Volunteer
    Options
    We hear you but still appreciate you @kelloggs. If we can do anything to support you, please don't hesitate to let us know  :)

• kelloggs
    Options
    Hello again,
    I think I have only final question in relation to the above, if I may?
    Does my father need to get the highest rate of AA in order for my husband to keep his SDP? Or is any level of AA sufficient?

thanks again
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,368 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    kelloggs said:
    Hello again,
    I think I have only final question in relation to the above, if I may?
    Does my father need to get the highest rate of AA in order for my husband to keep his SDP? Or is any level of AA sufficient?

thanks again

Any rate of AA.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • kelloggs
    Options
    Thank you, Poppy. ❤️

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.