Just received PIP assessors report Mental Health Related — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Just received PIP assessors report Mental Health Related

Options
chelsthompson1
chelsthompson1 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited June 2022 in PIP, DLA, and AA
TW - mental health/SH

Hello, in March this year I applied for PIP for the first time as I have struggled for years with anxiety and depression which over the last year has gone from manageable to completely debilitating. I requested my assessors report after my telephone assessment, and there’s a few areas I’d like to ask for opinions on. For the majority of the areas I’ve explained I need help such as prompting to get dressed/change, prompting to eat meals, and being unable to manage my own medication due to previous overdose attempts. The assessors comments for pretty much every section say ‘considered, but looking at SOH claimant works full time so motivation is there’. What on earth does me working full time have to do anything, when in fact my anxiety got so bad I’ve been put on working from home which means me working from my phone in bed. Surely a motivation to work so I don’t have to add to my financial stress and a motivation to look after myself are different things, I even evidenced when I’ve had to take time off work this year because my mental health was so bad. The assessor also stated I didn’t seem distressed at all throughout but I spent the majority of the assessment in tears! Recounting how difficult I find day to day activities I even explained was difficult
to talk about and I felt so embarrassed and she’s omitted this completely. I feel so fed up. Has anybody else experienced this? Is it worth appealing or am I fighting a losing battle? 

Comments

• chelsthompson1
    chelsthompson1 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    TW - mental health/SH

Hello, in March this year I applied for PIP for the first time as I have struggled for years with anxiety and depression which over the last year has gone from manageable to completely debilitating. I requested my assessors report after my telephone assessment, and there’s a few areas I’d like to ask for opinions on. For the majority of the areas I’ve explained I need help such as prompting to get dressed/change, prompting to eat meals, and being unable to manage my own medication due to previous overdose attempts. The assessors comments for pretty much every section say ‘considered, but looking at SOH claimant works full time so motivation is there’. What on earth does me working full time have to do anything, when in fact my anxiety got so bad I’ve been put on working from home which means me working from my phone in bed. Surely a motivation to work so I don’t have to add to my financial stress and a motivation to look after myself are different things, I even evidenced when I’ve had to take time off work this year because my mental health was so bad. The assessor also stated I didn’t seem distressed at all throughout but I spent the majority of the assessment in tears! Recounting how difficult I find day to day activities I even explained was difficult to talk about and I felt so embarrassed and she’s omitted this completely. I feel so fed up. Has anybody else experienced this? Is it worth appealing or am I fighting a losing battle? 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,282 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes, it does happen many times. A lot of the justification reasons are copy and paste. However, if it's the assessment report you received and not the decision then the report isn't the decision. It's a recommendation.
    Before making the decision the decision maker should look at all evidence you sent, including the report. While they mostly go with the report, it has been known for them to go against it.
    Once the decisions been made if you're not happy you can request the Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) then Tribunal, if MR decision doesn't change.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I've just sent you an email from community@scope.org.uk @chelsthompson1, so please do keep an eye out for that :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.