Hi, my name is Chris AKA wandering_chris! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Chris AKA wandering_chris!

Options
wandering_chris
wandering_chris Community member, Scope Member Posts: 70 Courageous
Where to begin? Well, at the beginning I suppose! I am 32, living in the East Midlands, I suffer from cerebral palsy and receive care from my Mum and carers. I am a university graduate and have 2 degrees.

I'm very spiritual and receive emotional support from my religious community.

Unfortunately, fortune hasn't been too kind as I had a setback due to sciatica and now my muscles are unconditioned. I'm doing all I can to get on my feet and use a walking frame again but nobody can tell me when I'll recover.

I see my friends, all with jobs, some are fathers... and here am I, no job, living with Mum, feeling like a bum, and I don't know what to do.

I had a job and everything set to go, and this sets me back. I still want to move from Mum, but Mum also has problems of her own and I'm scared to leave her. She says she'll be fine when I move in the next few years, but I'm not so sure.

Please tell me I can make it, I am determined too but it'd be nice to see some examples.

Kind Regards,

Chris

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,610 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @wandering_chris welcome to the community, sorry to read that you have a set back with sciatica, have the drs refered you to physio for this? 
    Have you spoke to any one about how you feel like your drs. I'm going to tag @Richard_Scope to see if he can offer any advise. 
    Well done on your 2 degrees.  

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @wandering_chris - & welcome to the community. It's great to see you have emotional support from your religious community. Now thinking about the physical side have you asked your GP to refer you for physiotherapy to hopefully aid your walking? I would hope that would literally be your next step to help with your muscle deconditioning.
    You seem like a strong person determined to get over this setback, so if you can get some help then things may begin to improve & you can begin to move forward.
    I'll also ask @Richard_Scope for his advice & input.
  • wandering_chris
    Options
    Sandy_123 said:
    Hi @wandering_chris welcome to the community, sorry to read that you have a set back with sciatica, have the drs refered you to physio for this? 
    Have you spoke to any one about how you feel like your drs. I'm going to tag @Richard_Scope to see if he can offer any advise. 
    Well done on your 2 degrees.  

I probably should add I see a neuro physio weekly and do half an hour of physio daily. - Chris

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    As a long retired physio (I used to treat babies & children with CP), I'm pleased to read you're seeing a neurophysiotherapist; I do hope this is helping. Kindly let us all know how you get on. My best wishes.
  • wandering_chris
    Options
    chiarieds said:
    As a long retired physio (I used to treat babies & children with CP), I'm pleased to read you're seeing a neurophysiotherapist; I do hope this is helping. Kindly let us all know how you get on. My best wishes.
    it's helping alot but the main thing on my mind is: "When will I get back to using my walking frame?"

• wandering_chris
    Options
    Hi @wandering_chris I hope you enjoy being part of the Community. Because of your set back it is just taking you a bit longer to get where you want to be. Having studied and obtained 2 degrees you obviously do not give up and this shows your strong character. Sometimes we have to change our plans and take a different route . Just remember you do not have to prove yourself to anyone, you are unique .
    My daughter had just started teaching when she became ill and almost overnight was unable to walk from the front door to the end of the drive, she was 24 years old. Suffice to say her life changed  and involved lots of hospital appointments but eventually she stabilized  and we had our "normal" life. totally different to what we had planned. She used a wheelchair was on 24/7 infusion which we made up each day administered through a line in her neck and she was on oxygen. She entered a North West Art Competition and won she never told them she was ill as she wanted to win on her ability. She also did a second degree. We went out and took whatever we needed with us we still went to the theatre which she loved. She had a couple of good friends but many did not bother anymore. She once said to me I am not unhappy mum I have time now to do things I would not have been able to do if I was well. You can be whatever you want to be just not perhaps in the way you had planned. I hope if you would like you can share your journey with us. Take care. 
    Thank you for inspiring me, I always wanted to be in media back in the day. Now, I just want to get any job and move out asap once well.

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @wandering_chris :) It's great to have you with us!

I can see that you've already made another post about moving out, which is great to see. 

In terms of looking for jobs, I'm wondering whether you could benefit from accessing one of our employment services. Perhaps you could take a look, and let us know what you think?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.