Hi, my name is anniebb! Having issues at work with hr — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is anniebb! Having issues at work with hr

Options
anniebb
anniebb Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited June 2022 in Work and employment
Hi everyone my name is ann i am 56  
Tagged:

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @anniebb and a warm welcome to the community, thanks for joining and telling us a bit about yourself :)

Is there anything we can help with today?

I hope you'll find the community a helpful and welcoming place to spend time. You're welcome to have a look around whenever you're ready to, you can browse topics for discussion using our categories page.

Another good place to start is recent discussions, to see all the latest threads on the forum.

If you'd like to get to know fellow members better, have a chat and play games, then visit the coffee lounge

If you need a hand with anything, please do ask, and I hope you enjoy having a look around.

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,118 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @anniebb - & welcome to the community. How are you today, surviving the heat I hope? :)
  • anniebb
    Options
    I am having issues at work with hr  i am working on a producton line and my sight has been deteriating  i have gluecoma and am no longer allowed to drive i have been having operations to save my sight  and work are starting to question my time off as i have had 3 operations and recovery  in the last 9 months with further surgery in a month for cataract as i cant see out of my left eye .only shadow  am i been unreasonable expecting them to help me more instead of getting letters saying i might get a written warning for time off when all the time off is operations and getting better 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Options
    I'm really sorry to hear about the barriers you are facing at work, and that the way they are communicating isn't taking into account your conditions or the impact of your operations. You shouldn't be made to feel like you are in the wrong. 

Have you spoken to HR about things like reasonable adjustments? This can include things like more flexible working patterns.

You might like to read Scope's information discrimination at work, it explains what discrimination is, and what you can do if you face it.

If you're thinking of raising a grievance, your union may be able to help if you are a member. It's well worth seeking out professional advice too, or contacting the Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service (ACAS), which provides free, impartial advice on all workplace issues.  

Let us know if we can help with anything further, and keep us updated with how you get on.
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

I worked in hr for 30 years unfortunately having a disability does not discount you from being disciplined for attendance in line with the company policy 

However they can 7se their judgement and make reasonable adjustments eg any absences related to your disability could be disregarded for disciplinary action however this is good practise but not legal requirement 

I totally empathise I have glaucoma and blind in one eye and esotung for cataract surgery in other eye . I have had many surgical procedures buf usually the recovery time is usually about a week 

If you need further advice just ask or have a look on acas website 
  • anniebb
    Options
    Thankyou i think i have struggled with blurred vision while recovering and not been able to use glasses for my job for 4 weeks  having trabulectomy surgery so wasnt safe for me to return 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    We hear you @anniebb. How are you doing at the moment? I hope you are well but if you need anything, you know where we all are  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    anniebb said:
    Thankyou i think i have struggled with blurred vision while recovering and not been able to use glasses for my job for 4 weeks  having trabulectomy surgery so wasnt safe for me to return 
    when do you think you can use glasses again? Are your work being lovely and understanding?
  • anniebb
    Options
    My direct bosses have been lovely  hr is a sticking point   due to having a lot of time off 
    having another  meeting 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That sounds frustrating @anniebb. When's your next meeting?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • anniebb
    Options
    Had a lovely telephone meeting with occupational health and he was lovely .and told them i was capable of doing my job now  light duties till next surgery  and after my operation  will support  me    so feel a lot calmer now after my hr  drama 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Options
    I'm so pleased to hear this @anniebb it makes a real difference when there's someone in your corner so to speak :) 

Let us know how things go with your operation, we'll be here to support you of course, so just ask if you need anything.
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.