EHCP: Does anyone here have experience with mediation and tribunal? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

EHCP: Does anyone here have experience with mediation and tribunal?

Options
NinaW27
NinaW27 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited June 2022 in Education
We have just received our EHCP and the school named is not suitable for our sons needs. Does anyone here have experience with mediation and tribunal. 
Tagged:

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @NinaW27 and welcome to the community, thanks for reaching out with your query :) I'm sorry you're facing barriers to finding a suitable school for your son, it can be quite a battle, but you don't have to go through it alone.

Teddybear has given an excellent suggestion, and I would also encourage you to get in touch with IPSEA if you haven't already, as they are a great organisation for help and advice around SEN support.

To help everyone share their thoughts, I've also edited the title of your post and moved it over into our Education category, which I hope will help. 

Keep us updated with how things go, and let us know if we can help further.

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • cornishmummy
    cornishmummy Scope Member Posts: 28 Connected
    Options
    NinaW27 said:
    We have just received our EHCP and the school named is not suitable for our sons needs. Does anyone here have experience with mediation and tribunal. 
    Have you started the appeal process ? 
    Depends what your appealing against depends on how you go about the next step. 

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Hey @NinaW27. Firstly, I would like to give you a warm welcome to Scope's online community.

Thank you for already finding the courage to reach out to us. I appreciate how much courage it can take to reach out, especially when you are new and finding things difficult.

Is there anything, in particular, about mediation and tribunal you would like to know more about?

Also, your first best step is to contact your local authority as this relates to section I of the EHCP plan. 

Have you been able to contact your local authority yet and, if so, how has this gone for you?

If needed, you'll be able to appeal it easier if the school is also saying it is unable to meet your child's needs.

I hope this helps. Please don't hesitate to let us know if we can do anything else to support you, we are all here for you and listening to you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,560 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Hi yes I have experience of both of them let's start with medication first. 

The medication usually has to be labelled with the exact dosage on and the time the medication needs to be administered by. This can be challenging as some medication might not have a time for it but is needed at school or college at roughly the same time during the day. 

I went through tribunal I was 9 years old it's not very nice to go through especially as we decided to take me out of school for a whole year not realising I couldn't re do year 5 so I completely missed that year. Dose your child have an independent advocate who can advocate for the child and the family during tribunal. Good luck and I hope this has helped. 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    This thread (from last June) is about mediation, not medication, so fear you misread @durhamjaide2001

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.