Hi, my name is Haffy! Disabled Students and UC — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Haffy! Disabled Students and UC

Options
Haffy
Haffy Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited June 2022 in Universal Credit (UC)
For the attention of Case Manager

I have spoken to disability  advisor  ranchan  and had not understood any of the effect on uc if H goes university. 
The process is difficult  every time I ask I get hit by a blocked wall.
I do not understand  why no one in UC can advise us on this issue this is not acceptable. 
Here is young lady with severe disability  who wants to better her life chances to gain sone independence  and an opportunity  to fulfil her life and be a productive member  of society
..this opportunity  means H will get support both at home and university to attend and to work remotely..and to gain qualification  that means she can earn and live independently  with support in her future..but UC is NOT Telling us of process and how this works if she's goes university  what support she will get as this is your job is it not to advise a customer best way forward to gaining skills to job market...it's so much misinformation  and bureaucracy  and so so not user friendly....you do not allow information  it's all internal through work coach and it feels do my blocks ...NOT HAPPY AT ALL WITH THE WAY YOU ARE DEALING WITH H....ITS TIME CONSUMING  AND INFORMATION  SHOULD BE AVAILABLE ...ACCESSIBLE  BUT ITS NOT AND TAKES DO SO LONG TO GET ANSWERS THAT EXPLAIN PROCESS. WHY IS THIS.
..WHO IS RESPONSIBLE  TO SUPPORT H ....THROUGH WANTING A BETTER LIFE OFF UC ...SEEMS NO ANSWERS WE ASK DONT  GET REPLYS .
PLEASE HELP

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community I understand your frustration but it isn't dwp role to advise on benefits it's their role to administer benefits 

There are some knowledgeable members here who can help if you ask what it is you want to know 

Or contact welfare rights 

You are most welcome to vent your frustration it's 9ften difficult to find out the correct information 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,205 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You are not correct here, it's not their job to give benefits advice because they are not trained to do this. DWP administer benefits, not give advice.
    Is this person single with no dependants? if so, does this person currently receive a disability benefit such as PIP or DLA? If so has the person been found to have either LCWRA or LCW? if they have then they can continue with their UC claim.
    However, if there's a student maintenance loan available to them then this will reduce their UC, regardless of whether they take to the loan or not. There's some information here. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/Student-income-Universal-Credit
    They will need to report the changes onto their journal if they become a student.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I do think though that they should know the system well enough that they can advise. Because whether they should or not they often give advice and people listen to them and they're usually wrong!! 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.