New style ESA — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

New style ESA

Options
Cartini
Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
Good Morning,
I`m asking on the behalf of a friend.
My friend has Parkinson`s and can no longer work.  I`m waiting to hear when her last working day was (including sick leave) - I`m not 100% sure, but I think it was about 18 months ago.
She receives both components of PIP at the enhanced level.
I understand it`s not means tested (she has savings and owns her home) - is this correct?
Is there anything else I / she needs to be aware of?
Thank you
Andy

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,368 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2022
    Options
    It's not means tested but to be able to claim New style ESA you must have paid the correct amount of NI contributions in tax years April 2019 to March 2021. If she hasn't worked for 18 months then she may not qualify.
    Providing she doesn't have savings/capital of more than £16,000 she can use a benefits calculator to check entitlement to Universal Credit. If she lives with a partner they claim as a couple and their joint circumstances will be taken into consideration. For every £250 or part there of, of savings over £6,000 there's a £4.35 per month deduction.
    If she doesn't qualify for either of those and she needs her NI credits paid towards her state pension then she can claim New style ESA and if found to have limited capability for work then her NI credits will be paid.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    As poppy says, she may have left it too late to apply. However it is possible that she will qualify depending on how much she was earning up to the point she left employment so it's definitely worth trying.

If she was only getting SSP up to the time employment stopped then she will not have got any NI credits for that period but can apply to HMRC to get them added
    Write to: PT Operations North East England, HM Revenue and Customs, BX9 1AN, United Kingdom. Include your National Insurance number and say when the credits are for and why you’re eligible
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Cartini
    Options
    Thank you poppy and Calcotti,
    Her last day was 13th May 2021.
    Sorry Poppy, but this doesn`t make sense to me:
    If she doesn't qualify for either of those and she needs her NI credits paid towards her state pension then she can claim New style ESA and if found to have limited capability for work then her NI credits will be paid.
    Andy

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Cartini said:
    Her last day was 13th May 2021.
    She should certainly apply. She may well fail the NI test if she was only getting SSP for the last six weeks. As per my previous post she can apply to get NI credits added for the period on SSP. If she is initially refused payment of ESA, once those credits have been added, she can ask for them to look again at her ESA entitlement.
    Cartini said:
    Sorry Poppy, but this doesn`t make sense to me:
    What poppy is referring to is that if she applies for ESA she will have a Work capability Assessment. If she is found to have Limited capability for Work she will get NI credits regardless of whether or not she is entitled to be paid ESA.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Cartini
    Options
    Thank you very much Calcotti.  I`ll print this off so that she can read and make her mind up.
    Thank you again.
    Andy

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.