ESA expat — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA expat

Options
Mabel_McD
Mabel_McD Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi, i receive an ESA contribution based benefit (from the work I did before in the UK I emigrated to NL.) 
I am in the support group. 

My fathers estate is due to be finalised shortly. I am the main beneficiary and as well as a large lump sum, he also leaves me with a number of commercial properties with tenants. 
We are still yet to receive the inheritance. The final accounts have not been made up and we are not yet receiving any formal rental payments. They are going into the executors account and once they have finalised the accounts, then we will formally receive them. Probate has been granted, but due to the international aspect, the executors haven't finalised the estate yet. 

The DWP said the lump sum wont affect my benefit but the rental income will. Thats more than understandable and I'm ok if it stops. Strangely it doesn't affect my benefit here. They also said that they only want to know about it when we formally receive it and the executors file the final accounts.

Can I just check that this is correct? They only need to be officially informed once the money hits our bank account? 

My other problem is that they want a reassessment of my illness/incapacity. I have a form to get the doctor to fill in and they will cover his costs. This seems wrong and a waste of resources knowing that the inheritance should be with us within the next couple of months (in November its 2 years after his death and the executors account has to close)... do i go through the with assessment or tell them now that my inheritance is imminent and cancel my benefit? 

Any advice is welcome!

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2022
    Options
    I can’t see any reason why rental income would affect your contribution based ESA as it is not means tested (with the exception of pension income).

(I’m not clear how you are still getting ESA, were you abroad prior to the end of 2020 and are you covered by the EU withdrawal agreement?)
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Mabel_McD
    Mabel_McD Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thanks, in that case I'll double check with them.

I'm getting ESA under the withdrawal agreement. Worked in the UK for a number of years, then moved here in 1996. Been off work since 2017 and entitled to benefit here. After 2 years lost my job due to illness and my benefit changed, they checked to see if during my working history in uk,  i had paid enough contribution... that I have so they reduced my benefit here and that reduction is paid by the dwp. But i have to get a reassessment every so often to check i still qualify for the support. 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Mabel_McD said:
    .. i have to get a reassessment every so often to check i still qualify for the support. 
    That would apply to most people on ESA. 
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.