If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Pip appeal - scared and it’s affecting my life

Options
ecrnd1
ecrnd1 Community member Posts: 15 Listener
edited June 2022 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello,

I suffer with borderline personality disorder probably since a very early age and it has been so prominent in my life. I’m 24 and my life is in turmoil just because of my mental health. I applied for PIP and was awarded 0, did the mandatory consideration and again, 0 and I am now appealing with no hopes. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips or stories of their own struggles with a pip appeal? 

I am uploading as much evidence as I can but I don’t know what will be enough.

thank you to anyone who reads or replies 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,241 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    More than 70% of people who take it to Tribunal have a decision in their favour, if they appear in person. I'm assuming you're going to appear in person. (or telephone?) Paper based hearings have an extremely low success rate of between 3-8% so definitely better to appear in person.
    If you haven't done this already then you should give a couple of real world examples of exactly what happened the last time you attempted that activitiy for each descriptor that applies to you. Include detailed information such as where you were, what exactly happened, did anyone see it and what the consequences were.
    Medical evidence is only good if it states exactly how your conditions affect you.
    It's never too late to get expert advice and representation. For this start here. https://advicelocal.uk/ drop the box down to "welfare benefits" and it will tell you what advice agency is local to you.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
    ecrnd1 said:
    Hello,

I suffer with borderline personality disorder probably since a very early age and it has been so prominent in my life. I’m 24 and my life is in turmoil just because of my mental health. I applied for PIP and was awarded 0, did the mandatory consideration and again, 0 and I am now appealing with no hopes. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips or stories of their own struggles with a pip appeal? 

Hi ecrnd1,
    Look at this site "Benefits and work", the forum is very informative (as is the forum here).  If you join, you`ll have access to their guides on what evidence you can submit; they`ll probably suggest something you hadn`t thought about.
    Andy
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Cartini said:
    ecrnd1 said:
    Hello,

Hi ecrnd1,
    Look at this site "Benefits and work", the forum is very informative (as is the forum here).  If you join, you`ll have access to their guides on what evidence you can submit; they`ll probably suggest something you hadn`t thought about.
    Andy
    It does cost £20 for subscription to the forum. I know it’s only £20 but some people may not have that sort of money to spare. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Sahara
    Sahara Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    More than 70% of people who take it to Tribunal have a decision in their favour, if they appear in person. I'm assuming you're going to appear in person. (or telephone?) Paper based hearings have an extremely low success rate of between 3-8% so definitely better to appear in person.
    If you haven't done this already then you should give a couple of real world examples of exactly what happened the last time you attempted that activitiy for each descriptor that applies to you. Include detailed information such as where you were, what exactly happened, did anyone see it and what the consequences were.
    Medical evidence is only good if it states exactly how your conditions affect you.
    It's never too late to get expert advice and representation. For this start here. https://advicelocal.uk/ drop the box down to "welfare benefits" and it will tell you what advice agency is local to you.

Oh dear. I am also going  to appeal if they do not accept  my Mandatory Reconsideration. However, I am severely agoraphobic and was intending on either submitting further information for them to read or alternatively request  telephone/video call hearing. I was not aware that this would affect the success rate of appealing? 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    In your first comment you said the MR decision didn’t change so you’re now at Tribunal stage, is this correct?
    If so then you can certainly request a telephone hearing but whether they will agree to this I couldn’t tell you. 
    When i mentioned paper based hearings, this refers to when a claimant has a decision based on the evidence they sent. 
  • ecrnd1
    Options
    Not sure if I’m replying right on here (new to this) thank you so much for your comments I feel like there’s no advice out there these days. I’ve requested for a hearing in person, but I’m still awaiting the DWP response. at the moment it just says it is lodged. My medical evidence is just psychiatrist notes of assessments etc, times I have been under the care of them due to major mental breakdowns  several times over the past few years. I’m currently in short term recovery for mental health, all I have are appointment letters to state the care etc. i applied June 2021, so this process has drained me. I wrote a 4000 word letter on how my BPD affects me, I’m sure they’ll still say no. Lol. 

I’m a single parent with two children so my finances are more than limited and I don’t work. 

Thank you for your replies xxx
  • ecrnd1
    Options
    I am at the tribunal stage just awaiting the DWP response. Daunting and I’m worried it’ll take months again 
  • ecrnd1
    Options
    Sahara said:

Oh dear. I am also going  to appeal if they do not accept  my Mandatory Reconsideration. However, I am severely agoraphobic and was intending on either submitting further information for them to read or alternatively request  telephone/video call hearing. I was not aware that this would affect the success rate of appealing? 
    Definitely send any evidence you can. I did with mine but I still got awarded 0 unfortunately. Draining process hopefully you get a positive response x
  • poppy123456
    Options
    ecrnd1 said:
    I wrote a 4000 word letter on how my BPD affects me, I’m sure they’ll still say no. Lol. 

That's an awful lot to be honest. It will also depend on what exactly you wrote. It's fine to write about how your conditions affect you but they don't need to know your life story.
    What you should concentrate on is the anecdotal evidence, real world incidents as i mentioned in my first reply. At least 2 examples per descriptor that applie and you should aim for at least half an A4 page per descriptor.
    With evidence, less is often more.
  • ecrnd1
    Options
    ecrnd1 said:
    I wrote a 4000 word letter on how my BPD affects me, I’m sure they’ll still say no. Lol. 

That's an awful lot to be honest. It will also depend on what exactly you wrote. It's fine to write about how your conditions affect you but they don't need to know your life story.
    What you should concentrate on is the anecdotal evidence, real world incidents as i mentioned in my first reply. At least 2 examples per descriptor that applie and you should aim for at least half an A4 page per descriptor.
    With evidence, less is often more.
    I’ve already uploaded it now 😭😭😭 I just put in everything I could think of, of how it affects me referring to the questions etc. i just panicked. I felt like I had to do it in absolute depth as I’d been told I have absolutely no psychological needs. But thank you I will do this also, regarding evidence I don’t know what else to upload. I’ve got my sister to write on the letter I wrote to say how she helps me. I would like to ask my mental health team but I’m scared 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Did you check the link i posted above to see what advicde agency is local to you? If not then here it is again. https://advicelocal.uk/ Put your postcode in and drop the box to "welfare benfits"

• Cartini
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Cartini said:
    ecrnd1 said:
    Hello,

Hi ecrnd1,
    Andy
    It does cost £20 for subscription to the forum. I know it’s only £20 but some people may not have that sort of money to spare. 

Hi Poppy,
    I understand that, but if that £20 helps to relieve anxiety and leads to a successful appeal, it`s a good investment :)
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Cartini said:
    Cartini said:
    ecrnd1 said:
    Hello,

Hi ecrnd1,
    Andy

Hi Poppy,
    I understand that, but if that £20 helps to relieve anxiety and leads to a successful appeal, it`s a good investment :)

I agree but you're missing the point. If someone doesn't have the £20 to spare then they can't have the membership.
  • Cartini
    Options
    Cartini said:
    Cartini said:
    ecrnd1 said:
    Hello,

Hi ecrnd1,
    Andy

Hi Poppy,

I agree but you're missing the point. If someone doesn't have the £20 to spare then they can't have the membership.

I didn`t miss your point at all :)
  • Sahara
    Sahara Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    In your first comment you said the MR decision didn’t change so you’re now at Tribunal stage, is this correct?
    If so then you can certainly request a telephone hearing but whether they will agree to this I couldn’t tell you. 
    When i mentioned paper based hearings, this refers to when a claimant has a decision based on the evidence they sent. 
    Thank you for your reply. 

Sorry, no I have only just submitted my MR, however as I know very few are successful, I am mentally preparing myself to Appeal to a Tribunal. Would a telephone/video call hearing have a lower success rate than attending a hearing in person?

Also, as I was in a state of panic last week,  I completely forgot to add my signature to the MR. Will they reject it because of this?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Sahara said:
    Thank you for your reply. 

Sorry, no I have only just submitted my MR, however as I know very few are successful, I am mentally preparing myself to Appeal to a Tribunal. Would a telephone/video call hearing have a lower success rate than attending a hearing in person?

Also, as I was in a state of panic last week,  I completely forgot to add my signature to the MR. Will they reject it because of this?

Yes, sorry I realised that you were a different person after i commmented. Telephone/video hearings have the same success rate as in person. Paper based hearings have the much lower success rate.
    The most likely outcome of any MR is the decision will remain the same. The success rate is only about 36% and it's falling.
    It's possible they may send it back to you, if there's no signature. Did you keep a copy for youself before sending it? You should have, if you did then you can just send another but add your signature.
  • ecrnd1
    Options
    Did you check the link i posted above to see what advicde agency is local to you? If not then here it is again. https://advicelocal.uk/ Put your postcode in and drop the box to "welfare benfits"

Doing that as we speak, thank you! Do you know how long roughly appeals take? I can’t seem to find anything online regarding appeals directly but just the whole process. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Listing times are between 11-16 weeks. It will of course vary between different areas.
  • ecrnd1
    Options
    It says they need to reply by the 9th July so I’m assuming that’s going to be the DWP responding to my appeal how does this go about? Sorry I’m just clueless feel like I’ve lost a year of my life just to claim 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Yes HMCTS give them a deadline to reply by. It means than DWP need to send their response. They very often don't reply by the deadline, so HMCTS will extend the deadline. If they still don't reply then nothing happens and your hearing will continue as normal.
    DWP will obviously oppose the appeal because they think you're not entitled, if they thought you were entitled then you would have been awarded. So, don't be alarmed when see that.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.