Hi, my name is neilbacon! Can anyone drop me some advice on UC tribunal? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is neilbacon! Can anyone drop me some advice on UC tribunal?

Options
neilbacon
neilbacon Community member Posts: 12 Listener
edited June 2022 in Universal Credit (UC)
hiya folks and thanks for the welcome..im having a right battle with uc . ive been registered disabled since 2008 following an accident .. well to cut along story short my conditions have worsened since this date. my mobility isnt great  i cant stand or sit for any period of time because of discomfort.   and since having covid back in 2020 Ive since been diagnosed with a lung condition that leaves me short of breath all the time  i also suffer from depression and anxiety  i had an online medical back in 2020 with uc who seem to find me fit for work i appealed this with a mandatory reconsideration which i lost .so now im taking it to a tribunal  can anyone drop me some advice please because it seems im fighting a loosing battle and its affecting my mental health massively
Tagged:

Comments

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,698 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Did you know about the descriptors UC use to see if you're eligible for LCW or LCWRA? It doesn't matter how disabled a person is if their restrictions don't meet these. They are useful to know so you know what you're arguing for if you get what I'm saying?? How long ago did you submit your appeal for tribunal?
  • neilbacon
    Options
    hello thanks for the reply
    my appeal was submitted a while ago now Ive got the Mental Health Welfare Rights Officer on my case but you know what after doing some reading this morning im loosing the will to fight it anymore as its all having a massive affect on my mental health.
    i did an over the telephone consult with someone over 12 months ago now who said im fit for work..when my own GP clearly states im not.and has actually put this in a letter to Uc .
    in my reports they say i dont have enough points to clam whatever it is
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,698 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Your welfare rights person will really help and should be a huge help as they probably know things like substantial risk and stuff and where you should have been awarded. 

• neilbacon
    Options
    after reading about the descriptors

(i) mobilise more than 50 metres on level ground without stopping in order to avoid significant discomfort or exhaustion
    or
    (ii) repeatedly mobilise 50 metres within a reasonable timescale because of significant discomfort or exhaustion.
    this applies to me
    but it seems unless im ready to die i don't qualify which is totally wrong

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,808 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    neilbacon said:
    after reading about the descriptors

(i) mobilise more than 50 metres on level ground without stopping in order to avoid significant discomfort or exhaustion
    or
    (ii) repeatedly mobilise 50 metres within a reasonable timescale because of significant discomfort or exhaustion.
    this applies to me
    but it seems unless im ready to die i don't qualify which is totally wrong

That's not correct. Lots of people are found to have LCWRA who are clearly not about to die. Myself include, my daughter also and my friends daughter. We are all very much alive and kicking.
    Do be aware that the mobilising descriptor also takes into consideration your ability to use a manual wheelchair so it's not just about your ability to walk.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • TerryG
    TerryG Community member Posts: 27 Connected
    Options
    Hi Neil,

The being able to stand or sit at a job station for no more than 30 minutes,Activity 2,section B,sounds like that would apply to you,as it does to me,that is 9 points,only 6 more are required with that alone,Activity 1,the mobility,even if you scored the minimum 6 points,that would be 15..Having your GP confirm this is required,I have letters running concurrently that have been consistent.As regards the use of a Wheelchair,I had an Occupational therapist report stating,due to arthritis in my back,and hands,I would need a electric mobility scooter,this was ignored in the assessment,which begs the question,how much do they really read of the evidence you provided?.Get the evidence in writing from your GP,if you haven't had one,get an Occupational therapist to visit at home and form a report if not already done.On depression,I submitted a report from a Mental Health worker to the tribunal,this was also ignored,I would suggest your sleep is pretty fragmented,mu sleep report which showed severely fragmented sleep also ignored.
    They were not ignored by the tribunal.

I think they are going to force the large % of people to go through the MR then the tribunal regardless,in the hope it that people don't have either the strength to go through with it,or are being deceitful.

• neilbacon
    Options
    Please excuse my ignorance my wording was wrong. I just feel I'm going round in circles and it's making my depression worse.. when I originally had my telephone acessment I wasn't in the correct frame of mind and I felt I was being led by the questions .the lady on the other end of the phone was very clever in the way she was asking questions .
    Anyway this seemed to go against me in the decision making so I requested a face to face appointment  of which was never offered so I could get my point across  anyway I appealed against the decision via a mandatory reconsideration and ironically I lost this one.  So by this time I was suffering really bad with my depression and contacted healthy minds who were great  and I was contacted by there mental health rights advisor who told me not to give up and we decided to take my case to a tribunal  and have a face to face .but I'm bricking it and it's stressing me out and I  not dealing with things very well again .infact only 10 mons ago I've had a telephone call from my gp's in-house mental health team  to have a talk to them because I'm not  coping at all .
  • poppy123456
    Options
    TerryG said:
    Hi Neil,

The being able to stand or sit at a job station for no more than 30 minutes,Activity 2,section B,sounds like that would apply to you,as it does to me,that is 9 points,only 6 more are required with that alone,Activity 1,the mobility,even if you scored the minimum 6 points,that would be 15..

For LCWRA this is not correct. It's not about scoring points, it's about satisfying at least one of the LCWRA descriptors. Point scoring is related to LCW only.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    If you are getting help and support by a welfare rights officer then they should know everything there is about your case so any questions should be directed to them.
    Do be aware that any worsening of condition since the assessment took place will not be taken into consideration.
  • neilbacon
    Options
    Tha k you poppy.
    This is why I appealed against the decision this is why its now going to tribunal 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2022
    Options
    neilbacon said:
    This is why I appealed against the decision this is why its now going to tribunal 
    Not clear what you are referring to by 'this'. If you are referring to a deterioration in your health since the assessment then this cannot be taken into account.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • neilbacon
    Options
    Because since my initial assessment my conditions have got worse and I'm getting the impression non of the evidence I out forward was taken into account .so on the advice of my gp I'm taking my case to tribunal so all the evidence can be put forward 
  • calcotti
    edited June 2022
    Options
    neilbacon said:
    Because since my initial assessment my conditions have got worse
    As advised changes since the assessment are not taken into account. The tribunal's role is to decide if the DWP decision was correct at the time it was made.

If you have had a deterioration in health that would be a change of circumstance which should be reported and would trigger a new assessment.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • neilbacon
    Options
    Thank you for your comment I've got a meeting face to face with my representative on the 15th July about this tribunal. He should know shouldn't he what the next move should be because the last thing I want to do is to keep working myself into a state to find out that I'm going to loose this appeal because they won't take into consideration my health issues as they are now 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You have what so many people don't... a representative. They should know that a worsening of condition is never taken into consideration.
  • calcotti
    Options
    You have what so many people don't... a representative. They should know that a worsening of condition is never taken into consideration.
    On the other hand the representative will have all the relevant information and may be able to see an argument in favour of an award,
  • poppy123456
    Options
    calcotti said:
    On the other hand the representative will have all the relevant information and may be able to see an argument in favour of an award,

Indeed, i didn't suggest otherwise.
  • calcotti
    Options
    calcotti said:
    Indeed, i didn't suggest otherwise.
    I didn’t mean to suggest or imply that you had.

OP should be placing faith in the representative rather than asking questions on the forum.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    My fault Calcotti for reading it the wrong way, apologies. 
    Agree with your second paragraph! 
  • calcotti
    edited June 2022
    Options
    My fault Calcotti for reading it the wrong way, apologies. 
    Agree with your second paragraph! 
    No need to apologise - sorry it could be read differently to what I intended.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.