ESA113

galaxy101
galaxy101 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hello,

I am new here, and looking for some advice. My claim for ESA has been successful, and I have received a back payment and my first payment. 
An ESA113 form has been sent to my GP.  When I completed the form, I sent lots of evidence in, and the form was filled on thoroughly. 
Is it normal for them to contact my GP? 
I am sorry if its a silly question, but this is all so new to me and to be honest its all a bit scary. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 60,691 Championing
    They don't often contact anyone for any evidence. They form they were sent is rather a basic tick box form, which in my opinion isn't helpful because a GP will rarely know exactly how your conditions affect you. So the information they put is usually quite basic and i'm speaking from experience.

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,538 Championing
    Hello @galaxy101 and welcome to the community, thanks for reaching out. There's no need to apologise, there's no such thing as a silly question, especially if you're new to something. 

I hope Poppy has been able to reassure you and answer your question. I'm really glad to hear your claim has been successful, how are you feeling about it?

The process can be quite overwhelming I know, but the community here is a friendly and supportive place, so let us know if we can help with anything further :)

Alex
  • galaxy101
    Thank you for replying. I did download the form and have a look, and it does seem quite basic. 
    I am just concerned that my GP was contacted. This is going to sound daft, but I am just worried that no one belives me. 
  • Alex_Alumni
    I am just worried that no one belives me. 
    Do you mean with your ESA claim, or here on the forum?

We believe you here, and we won't judge you. It's okay to feel uncertain and to have questions.

Oftentimes with benefits claims, there's a lot of admin, and that can feel overwhelming when you apply, but it's more checks and balances for people processing applications, rather than a sign of any doubt or questions about you. 
  • galaxy101
    I am just worried that no one belives me. 
    Do you mean with your ESA claim, or here on the forum?

We believe you here, and we won't judge you. It's okay to feel uncertain and to have questions.

Oftentimes with benefits claims, there's a lot of admin, and that can feel overwhelming when you apply, but it's more checks and balances for people processing applications, rather than a sign of any doubt or questions about you. 

Hi alex_scope, 

Its with the ESA claim. I have also applied for PIP, but nothing has come back yet, but I know it takes a while. I had to have a family member help me fill out the forms, and it was so draining and exhausting. I just felt like I was constantly trying to justify myself. I know that there are processes that have to be followed though. 
    I am pleased that I have found this forum though. 
  • poppy123456
    Most people have a work capability assessment so you should expect one of those. Waiting times are quite long so you could be waiting in excess of several months.
    If you haven't looked at the criteria for Support Group you can see that here. https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/employment-and-support-allowance/esa-glossary/support-group-descriptors
    Unless placed into this group payments will only continue for 1 year and then they will stop.

• Alex_Alumni
    That's good @galaxy101 I'm glad you feel supported here.

I do understand, as I felt similarly when I did my own PIP claim, it can be a real pain to manage those emotions! Disabled people are asked to 'justify' themselves far too much in today's society, and it can be very draining as you say. 

It sounds like you've got a good support network around you in your family too, and you're doing everything you need to. It can feel like a battle sometimes but we are here to support you through the process, so just ask if you need a hand :)
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 5,387 Championing
    They don't often contact anyone for any evidence. They form they were sent is rather a basic tick box form, which in my opinion isn't helpful because a GP will rarely know exactly how your conditions affect you. So the information they put is usually quite basic and i'm speaking from experience.

Am I just really unlucky? UC and PIP both contacted everyone I listed :D Three different consultants and my GP
  • poppy123456

Am I just really unlucky? UC and PIP both contacted everyone I listed :D Three different consultants and my GP

Well, i wouldn't say unlucky as such lol. It's very rare for them to contact 1 person, without contacting 4 of them.
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 5,387 Championing

Well, i wouldn't say unlucky as such lol. It's very rare for them to contact 1 person, without contacting 4 of them.

Well ouch!!! lol
    I figured if they decide to contact any, that it's just standard they contact all :D
    2 of them responded to my UC one and all 4 refused for PIP, the reasons given were quite funny and I agree with them for refusing. Luckily it didn't negatively impact my claims lol