[CLOSED] Research project: Disability hierarchy from the viewpoint of people with cerebral palsy — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

[CLOSED] Research project: Disability hierarchy from the viewpoint of people with cerebral palsy

Options
mel_kennedy99
mel_kennedy99 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited October 2022 in Research and opportunities
Please note: This research project is now closed.

Description of research:

The research is investigating what people with cerebral palsy think about their disability experience. It will directly explore the concept of disability hierarchy; the idea that some disabilities/impairments are viewed more favourably than others. 

What is the purpose of the research?

The study aims to prove that “disability hierarchy” in relation to the social attitudes towards disabled people exists in the experiences of people with cerebral palsy with the intention to highlight how disability hierarchy as a concept needs to be researched from the viewpoint of disabled people. It further wishes to acknowledge the voices of adults with cerebral palsy who are often left behind in research due to the incorrect assumption that it is a “childhood disability”.

What is the method of the research?

Participants will be interviewed over Zoom for approximately one hour.

Who will conduct the research?

The researcher is Melanie Kennedy-Diver, an MA Disability Studies student at Liverpool Hope University.

What personal data will be collected?

You will be asked about your personal experiences of cerebral palsy during a one-to-one hour long Zoom interview. You can choose how much or little you wish to share. You have the right to refuse any questions and can choose to withdraw within four weeks of participation. You have the right to request a copy of the interview transcript and may request for changes up to four weeks after the interview takes place. You will be asked basic demographic questions i.e location, but these will be made vague i.e, Liverpool would be transcribed as “the north-west of England”. Your name will be changed for anonymity, you may choose the name you are referred to as in the research or this will be chosen at the researcher’s discretion.

How will that personal data be stored and how long for?

The personal data will be stored in a password protected folder on a password protected laptop that is only accessed by the researcher. It will be destroyed at the end of my research project on 7th October 2022.

How will members participate in the research?

Anyone interested in participating should email me directly at:

21009999@hope.ac.uk

I will provide any answers to further questions or queries. You will be provided with a research information sheet and a research consent form to read over. Should you have any further concerns or queries, please email my supervisor, Dr Erin Pritchard at:

pritche@hope.ac.uk

I look forward to hearing from you!

Comments

This discussion has been closed.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.