GP refuses to refer my partner to MHT and keeps pushing meds on him that do not work. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

GP refuses to refer my partner to MHT and keeps pushing meds on him that do not work.

Options
Trixter_82_
Trixter_82_ Community member Posts: 28 Listener
I am literally at my wits end in terms of the lack of support my partner is getting for his mental health. He was recently diagnosed with Autism but he has episodes of severe mood swings and trauma related anxiety. He is waiting to start intensive therapy but the waiting lists are very long. His mental health is deteriorating fast, his moods are escalating fast. I had an adult social care assessment done earlier this year for him and he now has a plan but there isn't anything in it to support him. He spoke to his gp about a month ago after the mental health team rejected his referral, his gp stated they cannot make another referral and he needs to wait until he starts therapy and see what support they say he needs, also they keep trying to push anti depressants that do not work, they dont stop the mood swings, and they make him worse. We contacted the therapy team about the meds but they stated they will do nothing for the traumatic thoughts and moods. The gp states no referral until he's been on anti depressants for 6 weeks. They are not mental health experts, he needs a full assessment to determine the right medication to be on in line with the therapy he will be getting plus he needs a worker allocating to him to closely monitor his condition. Yet he is being refused this assessment that he needs. Where do we stand? Can we complain about this? 

Comments

• rish
    rish Community member Posts: 62 Courageous
    Options
    When you say mood swings, do you mean he gets highs too? 
  • rish
    Options
    The situation may be slightly different here, but I was put on antidepressants, and the it didn't work. I had to be admitted to A&E and then hospitalised to get treatment. Have you considered going into the UCC? Urgent Care Centre that is.
  • Trixter_82_
    Options
    rish said:
    No just aggression over the slightest things then he apologies really upset. 
  • Trixter_82_
    Options
    rish said:
    The situation may be slightly different here, but I was put on antidepressants, and the it didn't work. I had to be admitted to A&E and then hospitalised to get treatment. Have you considered going into the UCC? Urgent Care Centre that is.
    Yep again he gets put straight bk in touch with our gp. 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,577 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Trixter_82_ that sounds frustrating having to go round in circles.  I hope the therapy starts sooner then you expect. 
  • rish
    edited July 2022
    Options
    rish said:
    No just aggression over the slightest things then he apologies really upset. 
    Sounds like irritability. It needs to be addressed , but it sounds very frustrating that you are going round in circles with them. Like @Sandy_123 said, hope therapy starts sooner so they can help. In the meantime, if your husband is experiencing any symptoms other than irritability, make notes for the GP and mental health team.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Trixter_82_ and thanks for reaching out yesterday. This certainly sounds very frustrating for both you and your partner, and I'm sorry to hear that you're being sent from pillar to post.

I hope you have found our members replies helpful, and would also encourage you to keep a note of your partner's symptoms, so that it will be easier to discuss things when you can speak to his GP or mental health team.

In terms of making complaints, there's an overview from the NHS which I hope is useful for you.

The NHS website also explains how you can take things further than a complaint:
    If your problem persists or you're not happy with the way your complaint has been dealt with locally, you can complain to the relevant ombudsman.
    That's the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman for Healthcare, and the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman for social care.

If you feel we've missed anything or can help further then please do ask, and we'll do what we can to support you.

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.